• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7V8X-X <-what's the last "X" about?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grv

OK, if the Asus USA site was up, or I could read dutch, chinese or french, I could answer this myself.

What is the diff between the A7V8X-X and the A7V8X?

Looks to me like the A7V8X-X is stripped down, but as far as basics, it's the same.

I'm just looking to put up another folding rig, and so don't need much in the way of bells and whistles. I've had good Asus experiences, so I wanted to stick with them.

Anyone had experience with this board as opposed to the one with sata and all that? There's enough on that one in the forums already for me to get the low down on it.

Thanks!

i was looking at the A7V8X-X aswell as its pretty cheap as far as i can tell its just stripped down a bit. The only thing i know it doesnt have is serial ATA apart from that i dont know. IT should still be a pretty descent board though:)

I heard something about sound chip being different, but that's all I know. I'm about to buy one of these, after just getting an A7N8X-Deluxe, basically having a good Asus experience.

Thanks for the input - should make a nice folder. I ordered it today... I'll let you know how I make out.

asus a7v8x:
Processor Socket A for AMD®: Athlon XP/ Athlon/ Duron up to 2.4GHz+
Thoroughbred core CPU ready
FSB 266/200 MHz

asus a7v8x-x:
CPU Socket A for AMD Athlon XP/Athlon/Duron up to 2.25GHz+
Thoroughbred/Barton Core Support

FSB 333 / 266 / 200MHz

Mito said:
asus a7v8x:
Processor Socket A for AMD®: Athlon XP/ Athlon/ Duron up to 2.4GHz+
Thoroughbred core CPU ready
FSB 266/200 MHz

asus a7v8x-x:
CPU Socket A for AMD Athlon XP/Athlon/Duron up to 2.25GHz+
Thoroughbred/Barton Core Support

FSB 333 / 266 / 200MHz

I have the asus a7v8x and my bios settings are this!

266/333/400 mhz i am running at 333 as we type!

i think you got it wrong there? also the "x" has anti crash via overclocking to high restores defaults to boot up again!

thx.....

My neighbor just bought one...

my neighbor just switched to AMD and bought the A7V8X-X , and some pc3200 ddr, and an Athlon xp2600 T-Berd "B". He wants to overclock it, and I don't know anything about his specific board, but I want to learn as much as possible to help him along on his overclocking adventure.

If anyone has any decent info on it, please let us all know, as this board doesn't seem to be too common on the forums as of yet.

What can he expect to get out of his rig? I'll be sure to donate some goods for his cooling, if the board allows voltage settings and such in the bios, like my Abit boards do...

Thanks in advance for any help......;)

Last edited:
umm...you people...now 'I' must set the record straight...
the 'X' has gigabit lan, all of the boards have anti-crash overclocking, to my dismay (i hate it...i should see if i can turn it off....it gives a lot of false alarms), the 'X' has a RealTek audio chip, so none of the nifty goodies of the other model with SoundStorm (the nVidia thingy in the SouthBridge that de/encodes Dolby 5.1), the 'X' is also missing the Silicon Image Serial-ATA chip, so no RAID..., also the 'X' has a different northbridge

i have the A7N8X-X and i think it means "cheap" but it is a good board...read the specs on the asus page for these. if all things are equal in the "-X" line, it probably doesn't do dual channel mem...

The X series are cheaper versions of the original premium priced motherboards. They tend to come out towards the mid to end of the chipset's life cycle.

From my understanding it means that this board officially supports the 333 fsb whereas the non -x board originally supported only 266 but was upgraded via bios flash. It is the same deal as the A7V333 and the A7V333-x. The reason their stripped down is to push you to get the next step up with all the bells and whistles like the A7N8X which officially supports the 333 FSB. Some people are able to get their A7V333 Boards to run the 333 chips and others are not. At least that is what Asus told me via e-mail.

i just bought the a7v8x-x for my dad too!!!hahahha

i bought a barton for myself and gave my dad my trusty tbred 1700+. the thing that blew me off teh chair (probably old news) is that the board can allow me to access 13x+ multiplier w/o any modding of the chip!
so "limited' by pc2700 ram, my dad is now at 13.5x166 = 2.25ghz. it's a 2800+!!!

i like this board! cheap and fast.

Back