• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cable sleeving

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dmginc34

Registered
I am gonna buy some sleeving to clean up the cables in my case from frozencpu, but my question is should i get the 1/2 or 1/4 size? And how much heatshrink do i need?

Flexo PET 1/2" should work for about 98% of the cabling inside your case. If you want to do fan wires, you might want to go with a smaller diameter, but I wouldn't stress it so much as the sleeving is flexible. As far as heatshrinking goes, you probably only need a few feet (2-4) depending on how fastidious you are with your cabling and how much you think you'll screw up ;). Also, I don't know what kind of sleeving they offer at frozenCPU, but you might want to check out http://www.svc.com for your cabling needs (it's my new favorite store of the month :)).

well i live 15 mins from frozencpu so i buy stuff there, but thanks for the advice

Umm yeah, after checking frozenCPU's website, I would DEFINATELY buy from svc as they are WAY cheaper. A foot of sleeving at frozenCPU costs $1.75 whereas at SVC, a five foot section costs $1.99. Also, SVC offers many more colors.

I used 1/4 sleeving for most of my power lines, as they only have four wires, so they don't need the 1/2 inch flexo. I'd say the 1/2 inch would be better used on the motherboard power cable because it's kind of big... Just my two cents.

1/4" with 3/8" heat shrink, the mobo power wire can use 3/4" but getting the heat shrink on wil be tricky if you use 2:1 which is what frozencpu sells I believe. If you can find some 4:1 heatshrink you will pay more but it will fit over the mobo molex and shrink to the right size, get like 1" 4:1 heatshrink for that.
To get the 1/4" on the power wires you have to take the molex plugs off so I mark the spot where each cable goes in and which black is for the 12v and 5v on the molex. The marker comes off with a little rubbing alchohol real easy and its better than 7v modding on accident. :)
I do these alot as I sell PSU's with sleeving on them all the time on ebay and it only takes an hour or two and makes a big difference in your case. Have fun!

Back