• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

powering the MCW-50t

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vedder323

I have the MCW-5000 that is powered by my meanwell psu. I just got my MCW-50 and noticed it comes with a 4 pin connector. This threw me off, I was planning on using the PSU for both Tecs... can I just cut the connector? What do you think?

I may be wrong but if you have the Meanwell S320-12 PSU it wont have enough power to power both a 226 and 80 watt tec since the 226W draws ~22amps and the 80W draws ~8amps. I think SwiftTech assumes you are using the S320 that wont power both and puts the regular molex on the MCW50-T to run from your system PSU.

Really..... that sucks, you paid 1xx$ for a PSU that only powers up a 226w TEC? I am happy that I haven't purchased it yet, so after all, TEC isn't really that worth it right?

I wouldnt say that... -7c is pretty worth it. But yes, its a pain in the *** to get it were it needs to be...

Meanwell makes a PSU that is slightly more powerful than the S320 called the the S350. It supplies 29 amps at 12V. Looking at the reviews for both the Swifttech MCW462-UHT and the MCW50-T at systemcooling.com providing you run both blocks at exactly 12V the 226W tec will draw ~19 amps while the 80W tec will draw ~6 amps. So assuming your system PSU isnt powerful enough to run the 80W tec you could sell your S320, which Im sure someone would buy, and upgrade to the S350.

Back