• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My NF7-S gives 2.96v to the ram. Looks like I have to send it back. ARGH!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hawkeye_wx

When I first got my NF7-S mobo a few weeks ago I installed all my stuff, including 2 256MB crucial pc2100 dimms. When I first turned the system on I went into the bios menu to check my settings. The Vcc voltage, which I've been told is the ram voltage, was set to be 2.6v but it was actually measured to be 2.96v. After 15 minutes the system locked up and further attempts to boot up brought beeping from the mobo. I did some testing and found the dimm in the #2 slot was bad. Once I removed that bad dimm the Vcc voltage was measured to be 2.74 and that is where it has been stable for a couple weeks now. When I got my replacement dimm from crucial I installed it and the Vcc voltage remained at 2.74. Now this morning I installed my new TBred 1700+ and turned the system on. I went into the bios menu only to discover the Vcc voltage was back up to 2.96v. I immediately turned off the system and removed the 2nd dimm. I turned on again and the Vcc was still at 2.96. I then changed to a different power supply and checked again. Still, the Vcc is 2.96v. I can only conclude my rotten luck has struck again and I have to send the motherboard back to newegg for a replacement.

I would really like some other thoughts on this problem. Thanks.

I just want to run my pc2100 ram at speeds <=140. I don't mind if the motherboard overvolts the ram to 2.74, but 2.96 could very well continue to fry more dimms. If I want it at 2.9 I'll set it to that.

I found a solution to the problem. In bios I changed the voltages option from "default" to "user define", but I left the voltages at the default values. For whatever reason, the ram voltage is now normal.

Update:
Strangely, when I installed the 2nd dimm and booted up the ram voltage was back to 2.96. I changed the setting to 2.7, rebooted, changed the setting to 2.6, and it was back to normal. I don't know why, but the ram voltage seems to automatically boot at 2.96 when there is a change made to the system like new cpu, remove/add ram.

Last edited:
Back