• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geforce2 cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Baller

I have pulled a geforce2 gts 32 meg card out of storage because my latest video card it defective. SO until I get a new one what is the cheapest way as far as a heat sink for this card? The fan on it is dead and I do have a A7N8X north bridge passive heatsink on hand but will that be enough? I also have the botton part of a crystal orb (no fan) too. Will this card need a fan or could I get away with it? I have a lot of air moving through my system.

i would say throw the passive heatsink on it. a little as3 and a zip tie or 2, so you can take it off easily if you want to. if you have good airflow, you probably dont need a fan on it, especially if you arent going to be overclocking it. but i wouldnt recommend running with nothing. the bottom part of the corb might actually be easier to attach. i have a corb on my 4600 with 2 zip ties,and it works great. good luck.

With good airflow, the passive sink should do fine. If you plan on overclocking at all, you will need a fan. Since you say that your new one was defective, I assume that you should be getting a replacement soon, in which case I would recommend that you not bother to go out and but some good cooling for the geforce2, you can survive at stock until your new card gets back.

Ya I have it working. This geforce was purchased over 3 years ago! at the premium price, now this is what I call an investment. My brother used this card for a long time until it wouldnt work anymore. Now that I learned about alcohol bathing the card works fine. It would work in windows before the bath. The half orb seems to be working fine.

i usually grab a spare fan (50mm, 60mm, 80mm) doesnt matter what size to me, but i put superglue on the edge of the vid card and put the fan on one of the sides of it. i just built a system and put a gf2 mx400 and it runs super hot, like if you touch the hs it almost burned my finger, but i put an 80mm fan on the side and it cools it wayyy down, i touched it with the fan mod and it feels barely warm. i like to slant the fan a little to push more air up to the hs too. hope this gives you some other ideas.

Well the card is only half risin from the dead. It won't work unless I set it to agp 2x and disable fast writing. Kinda strange, but its 3 years old and had some pop spilled on it. But it runs!

can you explain in a more detailed way on how to put the fan on the geforce warenb or a take a picture? im new to all this stuff so i dont want to damage anything.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

Since this is only a replacement card for now I just took the bottem half of a crystal orb spread some artic silver ceramiqe on the chip and used a zip tie (cut down the middle, mine are a little too big). The zip tie is what holds it down. Just make sure its nice and snug. Oh ya, the zip tie goes through the cards holes around the chip.

lol i didnt understand much of what you said. What is a crystal orb spread and a zip tie?

a crystal orb is a chipset cooler. its made to cool chips that dont put out as much heat as modern CPU's its looke like this. a zip tie looks like this. in the bottom right hand corner of that picture, you can see a little black pin. normally that pin will push through a hole on the video card. most video cards will have 4 hole, 1 on each corner of the gpu. if you want to look inside your computer, you will probably be able to see them. what some people do (myself included), instead of using those black push pins to secure the heatsink to the card, they will use sip ties. they might do this because they dont have teh push pins (they are very small and easy to lose), or because the push pins dont fit (thats why i used zip ties).

heres what you do:

put some sort of thermal transfer paste, like artic silver 3 on the GPU (Graphics Precessing Unit. its like a CPU for a video card) and on the heatsink. this will ensure that heat will transfer from the video card to the heatsink with the highest possible efficiency. then put the heatsink onto the GPU, and line up the holes on the cooler (crystal orb in this case) with 2 of the holes on the video card. take 2 zip ties, small ones, and put them through the holes on the heatsink, and through the video card. DO NOT LOOP THE ZIP BACK ON ITSELF. then take 2 more zip ties. you might want someone to help with this if you can, cause its nice to have more than 1 pair of hands. take the square locking part of the 2 new zip ties, and secure them to the back side of the card, by sliding them over the ties that are going through the holes (that make sense?). then tighten them down. you will want to use a fair amount of force. it doesnt hurt to have some pliers handy for this. you can tighten them down pretty tight, as long as you dont bend the card while you are doing it. there you go. you just attached a new heatsink. hope that helps!

and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

I just brought a Crystal Orb and put it on my vid card last night with the push pins.. works very nicely.. only now there is no way to monitor the rpm of the fan or the temp. of the actual GPU... does anybody know a way to do this with my video card below and the crystal orb?

Back