• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU fan blowing into the cpu or blowing away from the cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ventrue

Registered
Now u probabily thinking what a stupit question it is. Ofcourse blowing into the CPU u dumb ***! But for sometime now my fan has been blowing air out of cpu. And this morning i ask myself would it be better if i reverse it.
So did a experiment just now and the result is abit shockin to me.
U see, my mobo and cpu never have problems with fan sucking air out off cpu. I am running Prime95 as i am typing now and believe it or not i actually get a better temp (by about 1,2 degree c) then what thermalright website suggested ->blowing into the cpu.

So for the good ppl out there any comments on my accidental discovery? or is this a old nothin new dead news to you guys?
Am i ok continue blowing away from cpu or should i reverse it back to blowin into the cpu?

Honestly i perfer the current setup, but anyone have any horrible stories they know by following this setup, I would like to know!

Thanks for reading :)

P.s my HS is Thermalright800 with TT S.F 2 (auto censor on cpu) it rocks btw!)

Welcome to the forums!
Pretty much... the best answer is to experiment and see which one works better for you. In typical applications, it's usually better to blow the air towards the CPU, however case airflow and heatsink design can alter this. It's a pretty easy swap (usually) so it makes for a relatively simple experiment. I personally have my airflow blowing IN (towards CPU) rather than out. The difference between all the various airflow schemes I tried was never more than 1-2º. I just went with the best arrangement for the cooling, which was your typical front, side=in; back,top=out. Easy enough ^_^.

This is somehting I try out with every computer I build. I'll assemble the Heatsink with fan blowing in. Test it out then flip it. Which ever works better is the one I keep. As mentioned before it all depends on the Heatsink shape, heatsources on the motherboard, case ventilation, etc. Hell you might find that in a month it works better the other way round.

i've tried it both ways as well. There is no difference w/ my setup. I have it blowing on the cpu just b/c the fan looks better that way.

If you have an Alpha, make it sucking.

If you have anything else, blowing will probably work better.

Ffats said:
If you have an Alpha, make it sucking.

If you have anything else, blowing will probably work better.

I have 3 of them. One of them in my situation performs best with air being blown onto the CPU (even though it's supposed/designed to work better the other way). What ever works best for you is what you should go with.

Thanks for all the advices. I think one of the reason this setup works for me is becos i have another SF2 blowing out at the back panel with is roughly 80-90mm away and is lowered by 30-40mm centre to centre from where the cpu fan is .
I like it this way although i think it is abit noisy compare with blowing onto CPU.....just abit noisy.....but i will live!

Thanks for reading :)

Back