• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading board need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt_w_lambert

I have an msi kt3v and want to upgrade to a new board that can oc good and that has high fsb and that can suport a fast cpu(so when i get enough money i can drop in a 2800+) I don't know much about pc hard ware so i need a little help so if you know of a good board around $130
also if you could provide the pros and cons of the board so i can make a good desicion

I think most people around here would recommend a nForce2 chipset motherboard of any of the various reputable brands. nForce2 boards have PCI locking, which allows you to raise the processor's front side bus without modifying PCI bus speeds.

These boards would include latest revisions of:
Abit NF7
Asus A7N8X
Epox 8RDA

as well as boards from other brands that I'm probably forgetting. Check some manufacturer web sites and read some reviews to see if you can find one that suits your liking.

i agree w/ sickboy on the boards. But why buy a 2800 for almost $200 when you can get a 1700 or 2100 and OC it to perform even better than the 2800 for less than half the price.

depends on the CPU. if you get one of the JIUHG DLT3C 1700's than you're good for at least 2.2-2.3Ghz with screaming FSB. 2100's are a little more hit or miss. if you get one of the AIUHB 2100's than those are usually good for 2.3-2.5 on air. if you go water cooling you can squeeze another 200Mhz out of each. for the money the 1700 DLT3C is the best thing to get. the 2100's were the king of the hill until these 1700's came around. alot of people still go with the 2100's because with good cooling they will go farther. they also eat up added voltage where more than 1.7 on a DLT3C won't get you much farther.

won't OC anymore than any other barton. if you want a barton start with a 2500. those cost like $80 instead of $200 for an xp2800. and they're known good OC'ers.

to tell the truth i don't see the need for the extra cache considering what these are capable of with 256K

Back