• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IS7 vs. IS7-E Performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pecesenfuegos

Registered
I was wondering the difference between the IS7 and the IS7-E. I know the E has less features which is ideal for me, since I will only be using one of these motherboards for a computer strictly for games, and I don't need the additional features. Is there any performance difference between the two?

Thanks
:)

Is the only difference that the is7 can have a sata drive in it?

Im trying to work out which one of the two to buy.

I believe the $10 more it costs is worth the IS7 over the IS7-E however the $50 more it costs for the IS7-G over the IS7 is not worth it for most.

Both have 2 SATA channels. The difference is that the IS7 SATA channels support RAID 0.

Also, the IS7 has a firewire port, which I think is well worth the $10 price difference.

my IS7 came with a Gigabit NIC (3Com). i've heard of others getting
one as well. some day my IS7 will become a LAN party server hooked
to a 24 port switch with gigabit uplink :drool:.

when SATA drives come down in cost, it'll be nice to be
able to run Raid 0. games should load noticably faster with it.

even if you don't use firewire, you might some day.

as Fant and docinthebox said, its worth spending the $10

/2¢

the is-7e has the older southbridge, so the SATA isn't integrated and gigabit with CSA isn't possible. I would also say that it is worth it, so you get the ICH5-R, rather than the old ICH5 that has been around since the beginning of the 845 chipset

For the ~$10 difference, IMHO, it is worth it. At some point you will likely use the extra features of SATA and firewire. But if you don't plan on keeping the mobo for a long time before you upgrade again, then it might not be a bad idea to keep the $10 for the next upgrade. There is no definitive answer. Go with your gut.

$10 is easily worth the upgraded gigabit lan. I have the IS7 and had a gigabit connection with my other friends pc (with a crossover cable), boy is it fast!!!

How do you guys like this board for overclocking?

I plan to get one through a forum member here actually getting ready to send him money via paypal

Cisco KId

Back