• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help installing Swiftech MCX(C)370 heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vulcan5d

Registered
I just bought a Swiftech MCX370 heatsink for my AthlonXP 1700+. $8.50CDN for this quality heatsink, I couldn't refuse!!!

Anyway the instructions are not very clear on one thing. You know how it says that to mount it you have to unscrew the screws until you see a 1.5mm gap between the screw head and the top of the clip? Well that's all find and dandy for the screw of the clip with the shorter spring, but for the other clip the spring is as high as the screw. You'll never have a 1.5mm gap with that screw. For those who have the heatsink, what did you do?

Were you unscrewing it? Be sure to go all the way out! A friend of mine has this HSF and has about a 2mm gap on each screw. Maybe the HSF is bad.

Ya I'll take two!!

My understanding on the mount is that the screw is just there to compress the spring, undo the screw until it isn't compressing and you'll have proper pressure. Just compress that second screw and you'll see thet when you release it, the lock tabs will hold the metal part down (below the screw head). At least that's what I thought from the picture.

I just put one on last sunday on my cpu. The above descriptions are correct. Simply tighten the screws down so the springs compress, and then seat the cooler, then loosen them up till the head of the screw no longer rests against the bracket. just needs to clear it, by like 1/16" or so. Now your cpu cooler is seated and you are ready to go!

Back