• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switched from a 3200RPM fan to a 4800RPM one, and....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Empireking01

Registered
....there isnt any difference in the temperature. The stock fan on my AMD Athlon XP 2500+ was 3200RPM, so I switched with my friends stock fan for his 1900+ which was 4800RPM. I didnt switch heatsinks just fan. How come the temperature is still at 50c and didnt go any lower?

1) Are the fans the same size? A smaller fan at higher RPM will push the same amount of air as a large fan at low RPM.

2) AMD heatsinks = teh suck. They have a huge deadspot of unmoving air over the centre of the heatsink which probably doesn't change no matter what fan you use. The deadzone is coincidentally right over the CPU core so it acts like a lovely blanket keeping your CPU warm :eek:

3) Buy a new heatsink - Some are large, copper and cheap at around $30 for a good fan/heatsink. I can't recommend any though cos I have had a brain fart and can't remember what they're called :beer:

4) Welcome To The Forums!

SLK copper heatsinks is probably what you are talking about. The stock heatsinks do suck bad. I would look at www.svc.com for the ThermalRight SLK sinks but make sure you can fit it on your motherboard if you get a large one.

The fans are both 60mm I think, but the 4800RPM is slightly less tall. I was thinking of buying a SK-7 with a Tornado fan...I guess ill do it later. Thanks for the warm welcome :D

I recommend getting a good cooling solution soon, and overclocking your CPU. The core of the 2500+ is a Barton with 512KB of cache, and recent CPUs are getting in the region of 2.3Ghz. If you can, post the codes on the top of the CPU so we can guess as to how well it'll OC ;)

What motherboard are you using? This can be a big factor in your overclock, along with power supply, RAM and whether or not you have a PCI-lockable motherboard. Go to your User control panel and put your system specs in the Signature box so we can all see it underneath your post ;)

Specs are Below. Im going to sell my DDR333 stick and buy 2 256MB DDR400 sticks so I can use dual channel and overclock the FSB to 200MHz, thus overclocking my 2500+ to a 3200+.

Last edited:
Nice sig

erm one point though - less than 10 lines please, just use the
PHP:
[size=1]bla bla[/size]
tags to shrink it a little.

Yes you have a good stepping. AQUCA is a good 'un and I think will do well, but I haven't got a clue about that motherboard - must read up on it. If you OC be prepared to get another PSU, especially if you upgrade the vid card. Fortron/Sparkle 350W PSUs are damn good and have excellent build quality and engineering.

EDIT - A micro ATX nForce 2 board? That's a new one on me

Empireking01 said:
Im going to sell my DDR333 stick and buy 2 256MB DDR400 sticks so I can use dual channel and overclock the FSB to 200MHz, thus overclocking my 2500+ to a 3200+.

I might be off here, but I believe AMDs don't really benefit much from running Dual Channel. So, depending on the prices, you might be better off just getting one stick of 512MB DDR400, as I believe it to be easier to OC one stick as opposed to two.

Just a thought, and even at that, I might be wrong :p

2) AMD heatsinks = teh suck. They have a huge deadspot of unmoving air over the centre of the heatsink which probably doesn't change no matter what fan you use. The deadzone is coincidentally right over the CPU core so it acts like a lovely blanket keeping your CPU warm

Would a fan w/o a deadspot in the middle (e.g. TMD fans, Coolermaster Aero) alleviate this problem?

Empireking01 said:
Thanks for the tips. Where did you get micro atx from? My mobo is just ATX, not micro. Here is the link to it:

http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=m7ncd+pro

0_o I goofed again - it's becoming depressingly frequent

The Aero 7+ is a very good design IMO, with the turbine fan nearly eliminating the deadspot near the core. If you don't mind the slightly higher price (in the UK I can get it for about £20, that's about $30) then having something like that is worth a look. The desgn is a good one I think.

Empireking01 said:
The fans are both 60mm I think, but the 4800RPM is slightly less tall. I was thinking of buying a SK-7 with a Tornado fan...I guess ill do it later. Thanks for the warm welcome :D

Just a word of warning about the Vantec Tornado...they are exctremly loud, lol. They state 50db...but its more like 70db. They are literally as loud as a vacume cleaner, lol. (look at sig...ive got one :))

L337 M33P said:
The Aero 7+ is a very good design IMO, with the turbine fan nearly eliminating the deadspot near the core. If you don't mind the slightly higher price (in the UK I can get it for about £20, that's about $30) then having something like that is worth a look. The desgn is a good one I think.
ahhh yes. but why get an aero7 for £20 when you can get an sk-7 for £21? http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Thermalright_120.html

same situation over There - www.svc.com has sk-7's for $15.99 (special offer). Even their slk-800's are only $28.95.

You'd be silly not to get one.

james.miller said:

ahhh yes. but why get an aero7 for £20 when you can get an sk-7 for £21?
maybe because you want to pay more for the funny looking fan? It would look good in a windowed case.

Anyway if you want pure cooling powa, go with what james.miller said. Just beware that the capacitors on your board are very close to the socket in places and the heatsink may not fit.

Back