• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Fan, blow away or towards? should you reverse the fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dignan

Registered
Wondering if the CPU Fan is supposed to blow on or away from the CPU.

thanks

If I could only count the number of times I have seen this question!!!! LMAO And i've only been on for like a month!!! Yes, the air should blow ON the heatsink.

Kino said:
it mostly depends on what heatsink you use, but most heatsinks like to be blown at, instead of being sucked out

Can u give me the name of at least one hs for which the fan should 'suck out' ????

A.

Not wishing to start a physics discussion but.

Isnt the idea of the fan to move air over the veins of your Hs?

if that is so does it matter weather it moves air towards the CPU or away OR look at it like this

Cold air (or just fresh air) is ABOVE the fan.
This would mean it would be better to have the fan drawing air down onto the veins

Cold air is around the ZIF socket (eg being blown there by a blow hole fan in the side or roof) it would be better to have the fan blowing away from the veins, as this will be using the air around the skt base to cool the veins!

am i right or wrong?

Im sure im right both times so it depends where the air you want to move is and where to object you need to cool is

Towards you get a more direct airflow, toward the core. When the fan is pointed away your sucking from 4 different surfaces so you don't get as much CFM, not to mention the air is being preheated from the outer parts of the fins before getting to the most important part of the heatsink, the middle.

/quote/
Can u give me the name of at least one hs for which the fan should 'suck out' ????
/quote/

Yes my friend i can give you *not the name, but the worldwidely acknowledged company called dell which has their fans sucking air from the cpu. Don't worry though i don't blame you as to not knowing such a simple fact, as we all know DELL's *do not* overclock and this *is an overclocking forum :D

To add to what GlitchOfDoom noted, I would assume that blowing away from the CPU would also be pulling air from around the mobo surface, which is bound to be warmer from the MOSFETS, RAM, voltage regulators, as well as the socket being heated by the CPU itself.

/quote/
To add to what GlitchOfDoom noted, I would assume that blowing away from the CPU would also be pulling air from around the mobo surface, which is bound to be warmer from the MOSFETS, RAM, voltage regulators, as well as the socket being heated by the CPU itself.
/quote/

HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY

DO NOT< I SAID DO NOT< DISS A DELL

look, don't ask me why the fans blowing away call dell :)

Doesn't Dell use a duct system? I haven't opened any of the newer ones but I believe they use a duct leading from the CPU to the rear of the case, which would explain why the fan might exhaust air from the HS.

I believe the original ATX spec called for the PSU to support 'positive pressure' by using an intake fan. But this didn't really hold up once we started using CPU's that generated a lot of heat, as it of coruse goes against the natural airflow in a case.

AS3 said:
/quote/
/quote/

HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY

DO NOT< I SAID DO NOT< DISS A DELL

look, don't ask me why the fans blowing away call dell :)

I meant Doom's first post, not the Dell bashing ;) I'm actually using a Dell right now. Not that I would ever BUY one of course...

mainstream pc builders *shudder*

from dells i've seen there is really no fan on the cpu but just a large heatsink as AS3 said, a duct as Tekime said which by connecting the cpu heatsink to the exhaust fan so one fan for two functions and drawing cool air from underneath since the hot air from the cpu will not mix with the case air because it is immediately sucked out from the duct, a very good design imo, but alas it's a mainstream pc...could give overclockers insight

FWIW, I have a SLK-800(a) and a TT SmartFan II and I *thought* I was doing everything right having my fan point onto my HS. Troubled with higher temperatures, I decided to have my fan suck and it turns out it decreased my temperatures by a good 4-5 degrees.

So, while I think the general consensus is that you should have it blow towards your CPU, try it both ways and see which one works best for you. In my old case, it didn't matter suck or blow... I got about the same temps. In my current case, however, sucking leaves my CPU a lot cooler than blowing. YMMV.

The Dell "HsF" does indeed work as R4z0r4mu5 Pr|m3 described (I do own a Dell and I like it but I didnt buy it I aquired it)

My server (dual Pentium 200s) has fans that suck but all the others blow apart from the Dell (I dont include my Dell as a PC here as its not 1 I built and its as it was from new as I think with that 1 "If it isn't broken dont fix it")

Back