• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silent (or close) fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Welcome to the Forums Davidb0586

For silent or near silent you'll probably want something that is 20dB or less. It's pretty tough to get a fan that quiet that's cheap and still pushes enough air to adequately cool a CPU or ventilate a case.

Here's a deal on a quiet 80mm Panaflo. That should foot the bill if you're limited to using 80mm fans.

I highly recommend this Evercool aluminum 120mm fan; it is extremely quiet when 7volt modded. It occasionally goes on sale for $9 from various on-line retailers. I'm using 2 of them I bought from case-mod.com, but it doesn't look like they carry these any more.

Last edited:
Is the 7V mod the same as putting the fans on a Rheobus and turning them down that way?

I have a 28db fan and I still think it is to loud so I want to put it on a controller to turn it down when I'm not running my CPU at 100%

billstuck said:
Is the 7V mod the same as putting the fans on a Rheobus and turning them down that way?

No, the 7volt mod sets the fan at a fixed, slower speed. I used this since I don't have a Rheobus.

you looking for a hsf or just case fans?

i was gonna go with the same hsf that i have on my system, it cools great, but on second thought, it is pretty dang loud, so any suggestions would be great

Chalk up a vote for the Panaflo L1A fans. They do an excellent job cooling down my PC. I have 2 in my Cheiftec case and I can only hear the HDD whining away.

a very quiet and very nice heatsink is the Zalman CNPS 7000
Stealths would also make some pretty quiet case fans, but i would get 120 mm ones since the 80mm ones don't push any air.

Back