• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 2500+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikealot

I have a 2500+ running on an Asus A7N8X DX with a Volcano 9, and I can't get it past 2 ghz. If i try, the system wont boot due to "cpu overclocking." Any ideas? Also, if you have a similar setup, what are you clocking your FSB at and what multiplier are you using, and what Vcore do you use. I've tried a few different setups and nothing seems to work.

What revision of the a7n8x do you have? have you been been upping your fsb or have you been increasing your multiplier. Its possible its just a heat related issue. A good HS like an slk-800 or 900 (or even an sk-7) would probably buy you some more speed.

i have rev 2, the new one... I dont konw that heat is necessarilly an issue, cause no matter what I do the CPU is running around 48C. My FSB is at 200 and my multiplier is at 10.0x. I've been toying around with increasing both of these things, and neither seems to be possible.

Barton 2500+ should be able to do 2200MHZ+ no problem.
Raise the voltage for your CPU may help.
We need more information about your settings. What RAM do you have? It can be your RAM or AGP/PCI devices cannot handle high FSB. In this case, you need to use lower ratio with slower timing on RAM and fixed AGP/PCI frequency.

my RAM shouldn't be the problem, I have a twin Corsair CMX3200LL for a total of a gig of RAM. They're running at 100% in sync with the FSB. I'm not totally sure about the AGP... what should I be looking for in terms of that?

is it really worth replacing the heatsink, or should i get a whole new setup...

Mikealot said:
is it really worth replacing the heatsink, or should i get a whole new setup...

That is a great setup, though a new heatsink/fan may help quite a bit. I was running 200x11.5 on air with that combo and a vantec aeroflow heatsink @1.70V core.
What kind of power supply are you using?

Mikealot said:
my RAM shouldn't be the problem, I have a twin Corsair CMX3200LL for a total of a gig of RAM. They're running at 100% in sync with the FSB. I'm not totally sure about the AGP... what should I be looking for in terms of that?

It still can. What timing do you use? PC3200 can run at 200FSB or a little higher at a reasonable timing. Play around with the timing a little bit.

AGP/PCI frequency get higher as you raise the FSB if you do not lock them. Some devices may not be able to handle the high frequency. If this is the case, then you need to lock the AGP/PCI frequency at low. The original frequency should be 66MHZ/33MHZ. No more than 80MHZ/40MHZ should be fine in most cases.

Back