• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shard

yo

what is the best heatsink for the abit IC7 Max3?

the slk-900 looks awsome but im not sure that it will fit
iv also thought about the ALPHA 8942plt

any advice is useful

The SLK-900 will not fit on mine due to interference by OTES, and it pushes the NB cooler a ways. I would absolutely reccomend the ZalmanCNPS7000Cu, and would not reccomend the Swiftech 4000 , and definitely not the 8942 (alcu hybrids are not that good)

why not the swiftech mcx4000
i was also thinkin about it beacuase the silver/platinum heatrods.
and i was going to put a vantec tornado on it (i don't care about sound)

AMD_Me said:
The SLK-900 will not fit on mine due to interference by OTES, and it pushes the NB cooler a ways. I would absolutely reccomend the ZalmanCNPS7000Cu, and would not reccomend the Swiftech 4000 , and definitely not the 8942 (alcu hybrids are not that good)

Actually, I replaced my SLK900U with a MCX4000 and got much better temps. On both I used a 92mm Tornado 7 volted. I got a 6C reduction at full load. I did reseat the slk900u several times but i think that alot of the air was being wasted cause the slk900 is only about 60mm wide. Thats just my observation thou.

i have one of these fans " vantec tornado " in my current rig and **** if i cant sleep at night. i had to remove it just too loud

AMD_Me said:

It uses aluminum rods, bad heatsink if you ask me. I like the SLK series, but they need a good lapping.

thermalright has a new ver of the slk, the SLK-947-U. it's suppsose to be
able to fit on more motherboards. weather it fits the IC7 MAX3, i dunno.

like AMD_Me said, they need a good lapping.

c_h

Time-out AMD_Me... the Swiftech MCX4000 is an outstanding heatsink. Ask anyone who has one. It is clear that you have never used one or have done ANY kind of research on it. It get's excellent reviews and I actually OWN one and it cools excellent. Please don't bad mouth a product you have no knowledge on. If you do have any info saying that it is a bad heatsink...I would like to see it. Thanks.

I would say that since noise is not your biggest concern got with the Swiftech MCX4000. I have never had that heatsink but I have many other Swiftech products and have been very pleased with them.

Thank You,
Daniel

hah! just had to bring this one out of the dust, it was my first thread ever! wow have i come far! lol now i am the one giving advice all the time!

oh and its kinda cool to look back and realize how cool of cooling we have now! I was worring about the SLK900! now i am looking at the Xp-120! lol

well sorry to bump this but its a memior to me, and thought you guys would get a chuckle! lol

OC-overkill said:
Actually, I replaced my SLK900U with a MCX4000 and got much better temps. On both I used a 92mm Tornado 7 volted. I got a 6C reduction at full load. I did reseat the slk900u several times but i think that alot of the air was being wasted cause the slk900 is only about 60mm wide. Thats just my observation thou.
Shows how behind the times I am when I just got an SLK-900 haha.

To solve the only 60mm wide problem, I built a duct/fan structure so I can have my full rated 160CFM blow into the SLK-900 with no air wasted.

BTW, happy one year! My 2 year is coming up in a few months, don't ask...I have a weird user account issue.

Back