• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

please sir can I have my Mulipliers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

I have an A7N8X2.0 (NForce2) with a AMD Athlon 2400+ Tbred, and I cant use the high mulipliers for my processor. the only mulipliers that do what they should are 12 and 12.5 and when I am using a memory frequency of 166 that means that I can can only set my processor to a 2400+ or 2600+, anything over 12.5 it subracts 8 from the multiplier so for example the 13x multiplier only multiplies by 5,.

Anyone Know how to fix this. I thought the 2400 were supposed to be unlocked. I have all the lastest drives and updated the BIOS to try to correct this.

My system

ASUS A7N8X2.0
AMD Tbred 2400+
ThermalTake Volcano 11
512 MB Kingston PC2700 DDR RAM
ATI RADEON 9800 PRO
IBM 20gb HD
Seagate 80 gb HD
Sparkle 400 wt PS
Toshiba DVD

I believe if you go into your bios (i have the same board , diff cpu), you can select in advanced options (2nd tab with fsb info etc), you select the multiplier option , set that to menu and it unlocks all the multipliers. Im at work rt now (again hehe) so ill check on the bios when i get home to confirm ok. Hope that helps.

You have a board that can only read 4 bits at a time. Thus, you will only be able to utilize the lower or higher range of multipliers, depending on what your processor is set to. The 2400+ is unlocked, but your processor can only recognize half its range at a time. You can mod it to use the higher range instead, but normally, one would need the lower range anyways, to use higher front side buses.

You can do a wire trick to get the high multies unlocked, or you can blow the last L3 bridge.
On blowing the bridges see this.
You can use THIS link for the pin holes in the socket you gotta short to get to the high end multipliers, that's the wire trick.

So should I try the L3 bridge thing to get high multis, I remeber that at default my board ran at 133 X15 so when I changed the The FSB from 266 to 333 to it automaticly switch to the low multis?

Gautam said:

The 266mhz fsb version uses the upper multipliers, and the 333mhz fsb version the lower range.

Sorry to go off topic, but since when has there been a 333FSB version of the 2400+?? :confused: :confused:

Very strange indeed as XP2400 are supposed to have a default multi of 15 so to only be able to get multis 12.5 and lower is strange. I would suggest booting up at 100FSB using the higher multis just to be 100% sure that they are not available. Just out of curiousity where did you buy this XP2400 (there are incidences of fake XP2400's going around which appear to be remarked XP1700's).

How about someone write a concise post on how we can tell which mobo reads all T-Bred/Barton multis and which doesn't.

bought it at newegg.com. checked with all fsb (except 200mhz which my Ram wont support) definatly using the low multipliers. when i first booted up my computer it booted up at 133 x15 and it ran at 2.0 GHZ showing that the 15x multi worked. once it was established that the default worked we changed to 166 x 12 for better fsb. now it wont go back however. when I load the default settings the processor thinks that it is like 700 Mhz, which means i did something to make it so it wont use the high multis. what could i have possibly done to do that. and is there anyway to check for sure that my processor is in fact a true 2400.

There is no way for that to happen unless the CPU or mobo were physically moded for lower end multipliers, you need to unmod it to get ur multies back

Try manually selecting 15 x 133 (dont select auto) then gradually up the FSB after that. Simply switching to 166 means it maybe booting up in safe mode (especially if you chose 15 x 166) I would guess. Also maybe you should clear your CMOS chip

clear your cmos chip before you try again and do the manual settings I suggested. Also check out the L3 bridges on your cpu if you get a chance to make sure they look OK.

Back