• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

chip wont die

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

countermods

Disabled
helo all i have an old 1ghz athalon with 512 mb pc 133 i have the chip oveclocked to 1.4 ghz and my temps are 58 to 60c @ load im trying to kill the chip with heat so my dad will buy me a 1700+ for my server and it wont die any one have any ideas on how to kill it remember i need to kill the cpu only

Yeah, all those work, or if you want some more fun, take some wires and a 9volt battery and just start randomly going at pins and some bridges on the top of the cpu.

Accidently slip it in the mail and send it to me.... opps dad.. I lost it ;)

i have a job but no credit card so i cant buy stuff offline the only way my dad will let me buy another chip is if this one dies i have it volted as high as this board will go and i already ran it with no fan but it doesnt help it has a vent in the side from outside were it is like -12c so this comp stay ice cold and the hsk thats on it is zip tied on and i caNT TAKE THEM OFF OR MY DAD WILL NOTICE

countermods said:
i have a job but no credit card so i cant buy stuff offline the only way my dad will let me buy another chip is if this one dies i have it volted as high as this board will go and i already ran it with no fan but it doesnt help it has a vent in the side from outside were it is like -12c so this comp stay ice cold and the hsk thats on it is zip tied on and i caNT TAKE THEM OFF OR MY DAD WILL NOTICE

*COUGH COUGH* Donate it to me to fold with ;) *COUGH COUGH*

hmm.... you could get a really cheap temp probe, tell ur dad u want to put it b/t the hsf and the cpu, and just accidently turn it on while theres say a few drops of h2o on it, or just while the hsf if off of it... or push down on the hsf hard and crack it

Its always a good idea to wigle that HSF around forcefully to make sure its seated correctly!

koontz good idea crack it wait does any one here know how much it would cost to build a lil comp nothing big like 3 gig hdd 64 mb ran onboard everything or crap vid card im gonna use this athalon as a folder and buy a new chip for this setup

First remove the heatsink and fan. Turn the computer on. Next knock the case over with the vacuum cleaner (if it's on the floor), making it look like a freak accident. Tell Pops you were just trying to help Moms out by cleaning up a little, which will win you praise from your Old Man, and sympathy from your Mom (cause you were trying to be a good son and help her, this is assuming you have a Mom of course) who will in turn "grease the wheels" of your old man (if you catch my drift) who will gladly fork over a few $100 for a new mobo and Athlon XP 2500+ from Newegg. :cool:

I kinda like the idea of cracking the core telling Pops you were just reapplying some thermal paste though.

Another plan would be to just go mow a few lawns for some old ladies and then have two computers.

splash a little water into the computer and turn it on. then run a blow dryer to dry up all the evidence and tell pops that the computer died of old age or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back