• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fried It!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pipsquek

Registered
Ok think I just fried my CPU! It smells funny and has a small brown area underneath the core around the pins. Anyways time to get a new one hehe. Before I do, if a CPU gets fried could it mess anything up in the computer? Everything seems to be fine other than the CPU hehe. But i need some suggestions before I get another CPU. As of now I have the mobo listed below. Im wanting a good AMD XP cpu so that it will run on that board as well as when I buy an AN78X soon.

Well I guess the answer to the question depends on what you actually did to fry it in the first place. What happened? Your motherboard coulda been damaged as well...

Could have messed up the mobo, but if it's running, get a new CPU. Any low-end XP CPU will run on the A7V333 as long as you set the jumper settings on the board (check the book) to run the CPU you're getting at a FSB of 133. Your mobo book should tell about some jumpers that set the default FSB of your CPU. Once you got that, any XP chip UNDER 2100+ T-Bred or any Palomino will work on that mobo:) . Go get that new CPU (go for 1700+ T-Bred B) and make plans for that mobo:D

Long story if you search on my posts you should find it, I had to take out my processor, resest the cmos and put it back in to get it running back to stock spees like I had it before. As you can tell It didnt work, I put it all back in and hit the power button, it would come on then shut off, id hit reset and itd shut off again, I did it for the 3rd time and figured out by the smell what the problem was ;) Now the puter will turn on, the light on the mobo will come on but nothing else, no video, sound etc... Guess Ill have to get that new processor and find out later if it messed it up. If I do get a 1700 what numbers should I be looking for, just so I get the good one :)

I beleive it was my error, it was working all day until i pulled the cpu out and put it back in, it could have been the heasink and core wasnt properly aligned.

That just doesn't sound right. Did you put on enough or ANY thermal paste? Does it heat up or anything at all?

Yhea put the AS3 on it just like I have quite a few times before. After I got it all in, hit the power button, about 3 secs later it shut off, hit the power button again, 2 secs later it shut off and the 3rd times the charm, and my ignorance set it. I smelled it and thought is was my PSU at first cuz it sorta smelled funky, but it was the fan that sucked the smoke thru it, I never saw any smoke but I took the processor back out and it smelled all burnt and had that brown spot on the bottom of the core.

DO NOT TRY THAT MOBO AGAIN!!! It definatelly is doing something "funky". Never heard of such a thing. Get a new mobo and don't try anything in that mobo, if you ask me. I've had some bad experiences:(

So should I just go for the A7N8X and 1700+ tbred or whichever one OC's the best and whats the number I should look for to get the best one? Then oc that up to stable 1800 or 2gig? Also could I just use the same Volcano 7+ I have now w/o the OC until I get a good HSF shiped in?

Last edited:
excalibur 1700+ are good stepping cpus.. but if you're willing to spend a few bucks more.. newegg has bartons for 80 something.. all these new cpus OC well over 2 ghz usually 2.2-2.4 ghz but good cooling is recommended..

get a sk7 or slk-800 and a smart fan 2 if you have the cash on hand =d

Back