• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External Laptop Cooling Solution?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Restorer

My laptop runs gets hot enough to literally burn my lap. It's a thin form-factor, so the cooling isn't as great as it should be. I want to set up some sort of external cooling solution so that when it's sitting still I can run SETI on it without melting my desk. :mad:

Looking inside the laptop, the CPU and major chips are heatsinked (base of sinks are about 3mm high, fins are 2mm thick and 2 or 3 mm high, aluminum) and heatpiped. The heatsinks' fins are aligned with the flow of air, which is provided by what seem to be three centrifugal blowers of 30mm width and length. One provides intake on the left side, one exhausts from the rear, and one exhausts on the right side. There is less than a millimeter clearance from the heatsinks to the bottom of the keyboard.

The hard drive and CD drive cooling is sufficient for now, but the CPU/logic board/memory cooling is what's driving me insane. I'm looking for ideas for an external bracket/stand/device/whatever that will help cool this thing. A good amount of heat is conducted out from the case on the underside of what I've described, but passive air circulation is not enough (I have an elevated stand that proves that). Has anyone seen a device that will cool my laptop? I'd prefer something that will boost the internal cooling, rather than one of those stands with fans on them, but I'll take what I can get if the price is right.

I like the idea of that one to pull the air over the whole of the laptop surface before exhausting it, but: :D

The hottest spot is in the upper (rear) center; the spot that's not covered by any of those fans. I realize that the pad could be turned around, but that also turns away the LEDs and places the USB plug in a bad spot.
The rightmost fan will be pulling in hot air from my laptop's internal exhaust.
60mm fans at 3000rpm sometimes whine or make other off-pitch noises that I can't stand.
USB power isn't too great when I'm not going to be using this away from my desk, and I only have two USB ports (and currently own no powered hubs).
"Dimension is 12 inches(L) x 9 inches(W) x 0.5inch thick.": Hardly anything to complain about, but the length is undersized by 1.5 inches.

Next? ;) (Don't take it the wrong way; I'm just queueing up people with solutions. In the end, I might seriously consider this.)

There aren't many viable options for good laptop cooling. I think you may be out of luck. My best bet was to make sure there is ample clearance under the laptop while sitting on a desk, and I used a plastic tub top with ridges in it to soften the fire on my lap (a poor man's lap desk)

Put it on a A/C vent?

I'm currently using a Podium Coolpad. I had an interesting idea that could conceivably work if I had the manual skills to create a high-quality enclosure. My system is accessable by removing the thin keyboard, so I can get to my RAM,, but it also exposes the heatsink/heatpipe assembly. I figure if I could build something to elevate and angle the keyboard a little, I could fit maybe a 25mm fan in each side to give some better airflow over the CPU. It would of course be a solution to be used only when I'm at my desk, because I couldn't close my laptop that way. :)

or you could pump super cooled air into it through the vents and thus cool the laptop. Otherwise id suggest a piece of plastic to put in between you lap and the computer. I suppose you could desivse some sort of undercarrige heat sink type delaio but that seems overly complex and a piece of plastic or wood about 1/2 an inch thick should do the trick. Tho it might screw up cooling even more depending on where the vents are.

as far as cooling when it's on a desk - I've come up with a few ideas that might be feasable. I have used one of those 3 fan pads, and I have to say that the feet on them aren't as stable as I would like for gaming and heavy typing. I am thinking about making a "water cooled pad" that has water running through it to remove all of the heat from below the laptop. I would want it to be thin and heavy with firm feet, probably a machined copper base with a soldered sheet coper top (maybe even aluminum epoxied). I don't know what kind of pump/res/rad combo, but anything would be better than nothing. That's just my two cents - I'm not sure I'll ever be able to construct it, but if anyone has the means and the desire - I would be happy to help with all of my mechanical engineering background. (just don't have access to a machine shop)

In my opinion, exterior water cooling isn't worth it for a laptop, especially since it would require one unit to put under the laptop, and an extra unit to pump/radiate, with tubes going to and from it. Internal water cooling with an exterior pump/radiator and an easy-to-connect tube setup would be incredible, but then the question comes to how well it cools when mobile. :-\

I used to sit my old thinkpad on a large gel icepack. It kept it very cool. I don't know if that would work, but it's worth a try.

Back