• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does this actually help enough to cost 16$???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alucard

I just wanted to hear yall's take on this and if any of you have used it or do use it? Im currently running a P4 2.53 with a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ on it, and could any of you recommend a better heat sink for me? thanks!

Overclockers Cooler Kit

looks like a few ducts and a fan filter

nothing a trip to a hardware store and a little bit of ingenuity can't do

well i dont live in a real town, my hardware store doesnt even have that foil duct stuff, so do you think if i hookeed one of my back outtake fans on my chieftec to my volcano that it would help any?

First of all, don't have that exhaust fan pulling air out the back of the case, as this will create a vaccum between the heatsink and the fan, and you dont want that.
From personal experience, you should use the 80mm fan bay at the back to suck in air and blow it directly on the heatsink.
Using a cheap 16 dollar heatsink and some manila folder paper, along with an 80mm fan, i was able to clock a jiuhb 1700 t-bred to 2250Mhz, rock-stable, at only 43ºC.
You can also use the fan at the front to pull the air in, but i just used the side-case fan pointing out to pull heat out (and boy did it. outside case temps, along with room temps went up when i stressed the system).
Plan it right, and with a good heatsink and fan, you could go really high on air.

How much, or if, this duct will help depends on your specific setup. Some people will notice greatly improved results if they had bad case cooling previously with cool room air. If your case cooling is good already then this won't make much difference. I have seen very positive reports after people used ducting, and I have seen very disappointed results after people have used ducting.

You do not want to hook the duct to an exhaust fan. You want to either let the CPU HSF pull air through the duct, or you want to have an intake fan pushing air through the duct, or both... but no exhaust fan with the duct.

Post #100
V V V V V
;)

Last edited:
im sorry, i did not mean to confuse you guys i meant to switch a exhaus fan to an intake and have it pumping fresh air onto the HSF, i have a chieftec with 2 front intake, 2 back exhaust and one side intake and my psu has one intake and one exhaust on it, i appreciate yalls guys help on this. earlier i cleaned my heatsink by dusting it and cleaning the bottom of it and puting more AS3 and my cpu temp dropped by 3-4 degrees from an avg of 40. thanks. for the help

I would like to add that you do not need to have the foil ducting, your hardware store should have the plain plastic ones(white). All it is, is ducting for your clothes dryer.

thanks for the help guys, ill make a ghetto *** mod in a lil bit and see if it helps any, what im wondering about is since i would use an exhaust fan because id ont want that huge duct going across my case is wouldnt the exhaust fan that i switch to intake just suck in hot air from the exhaust fan next to it? so it might help .5 degrees? lol thanks all

wow, if i go out of town this week i might stop at homedepot and pick up supplies =) thanks for the link! i didnt think to search the threads =/

Back