• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HOLY CRAP my comp stopped working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dalilman52

i have an a7v333 and after poking around in my case while it was on, it froze and when i pressed the reset button, it sed system failed memory test over and over again on a continuous loop, in the mobo manual, it said that the problem associated with that error message was that i should install memory, check to see if it was installed correctly or see if the chips are defective (which by the way is next to impossible with the human eye) but i already did, and i wanted to know if my memory got burned out or something, and fyi, ive been ocing here and there tweking the fsb a little and i dont know if i pushed the ram too far or something, another problem may be the mobo that maybe some esd hit the ram chips, or just something on the mobo, also, when i turn the pc on, everything else is working like hdd, and fans and so on, it just keeps giving me the same message. another thing is that ive tried switching out both dimms ( i have two 256) and they both dont work and get the same error message
________
The Championship By Lexus

Last edited:
Change out the ram

Try removing both pieces of ram and putting in a different piece of suitable ram from another computer. Maybe you can borrow a buddies ram just to do the test. Be careful about esd though and make sure you ground yourself to something conductive before you touch the ram sticks.
Good luck

You probably need to reset the BIOS - look in the manual for "CMOS clear jumper" or something and follow the instructions. Poking around in the case is not a good idea ;) but I haven't heard of it killing comps unless you had metal bracelets on. If clearing the CMOS doesn't work then if you have another PC, try switching the RAM out from that one if it is the same type - DDR SDRAM.

The A7V333 Voice Post Reporter isn't very accurate. When my A7V333 mobo went bad, I got the same "system failed memory test" message.

Like the others suggested, verify that your Memory sticks are good by trying them on a different pc and try a known working memory stick on yours and in all 3 slots. That will tell you definitely if it's your RAM or the mobo.

Also try a different CPU if possible just for elimination purposes.

It wasn't a very good idea to be poking around inside the case with the pc still on. A lot of bad things can happen that way.

Try the memory swap and let us know what you find out.

it would be kinda hard cuz i have two sticks of ram that were installed at the time, and btw, that comment about the metal bracelets, i was putting a hs on top of the agp card and i dunno, that may have shorted something out, another thing is im trying to go to best buy today and buying a stick of ram to see if they were the problem, then if so, ill just pull the old switcheroo and give em back the sh** that they gave me while keeping the new ones

and another thing, i did reset the bios and that did nothing, i still got the same damn error message

another problem would be...could i have possible messed up the chipset? cuz i kept getting the smae error message over and over on a continuous loop, is it suposed to do that? or is it supposed to sya it once, another probability is, maybe i just shorted out my dimm slots?
________
The big bang theory advice

Last edited:
Try it with minimal parts. One stick of RAM in slot 0, another AGP card if you can get it, no fans and CD drives and power on. Then pray :(

dalilman52 said:
cmon, guys i need help here!!!!

Please try switching the RAM sticks first to make sure it's not really your RAM that went bad.

If you messed up the DIMM Slots, then you'll have to RMA the mobo.

I poke around while mines on all the time. Just yesterday I epoxied on a SB heatsink while it was running, because heat causes it to cure faster and harder.

hmmm im beggining to think that i f***** up my north bridge cuz my agp slot is insanely close to my north bridge passive heatsink and it might have esd'd it and fried it or something, im getting a stick or two of ram oday to see if its the ram or not, if so, ill have to send it back to the place i got it, or just pull another switcheroo :)
________
SEX ADVICE DICUSSION

Last edited:
Back