• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

setting up A7N8X deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boxboy

Registered
Ok guys i just got my ASUS A7N8X deluxe board in the mail and will be replacing my A7V8X board with it.
Im gonna try and use the onboard sound instead of my SBLive card. (the rest of my system detail are inthe sig.)
But i was wondering a few things before i drop this new bad boy in!

1st what is this i keep seeing with people saying they are using "the UBER bios version x.xx"

2nd is there any tricks i should know before hand or any thing where people ran into problems when setting it up?

Thanks in advance guys!!!:D

Follow the manual and you will be fine - it is *really* easy :)

For the BIOS - depending which one it came with (probably the 1005) you might want to re-flash with the UBER 1005, or the newest official 1006.

To get your new BIOS file goHERE - there are luinks to *all* the BIOS revisions for your board - make sure you get the right BIOS for your board - whether it is a revision 2.0 or lower, all that is covered in the linked thread.

To flash your BIOS simply put the file on a floppy disk and press ALT + F2 on boot. A screen will prompt you for the BIOS file name (so make sure you know it!), and your new BIOS will be flashed.

felinusz said:
Follow the manual and you will be fine - it is *really* easy :)

For the BIOS - depending which one it came with (probably the 1005) you might want to re-flash with the UBER 1005, or the newest official 1006.

To get your new BIOS file goHERE - there are luinks to *all* the BIOS revisions for your board - make sure you get the right BIOS for your board - whether it is a revision 2.0 or lower, all that is covered in the linked thread.

To flash your BIOS simply put the file on a floppy disk and press ALT + F2 on boot. A screen will prompt you for the BIOS file name (so make sure you know it!), and your new BIOS will be flashed.

Well see you didnt tell me what nor where i would get this UBER BIOS! LOL
But i usually just use the ASUS bios flash program they have, its a lot easier and you dont run the risk of screwing it up!

well the thing with this uber bios is that Mr "uber" is an expert into hacking into nforce Bioses. So he unlocks some features that are hidden in the ASUS bios, and normally he keeps the name about the same. i.e. ASUS1005 +Uber1005 but in the uber you'll have a few more options.

I have the standard ASUS bios on my board and it serves me right, I'm at the max with a crappy processor, so Once I upgrade that, i might look into a sharper bios again. A lot of people have problems with flashing the bios and then the pc not starting up nymore, I had a problem, with just changing some bios options and then saving it, the pc wouldn't boot anymore, so there probably is a weak BIOS in the board.

For the rest I advise to reinstall your OS as I didn't and ran into problems, maybe even do a format, but that wouldn't really be necessary.
GREAT board though and you'll love it!

boxboy said:

Well see you didnt tell me what nor where i would get this UBER BIOS! LOL
But i usually just use the ASUS bios flash program they have, its a lot easier and you dont run the risk of screwing it up!

Actually - I linked you up too *ALL* of the BIOSes for your new motherboard - all the UBER BIOSes are there as well. Check the Link I gave you in my first response.

As to Hawker-rider's comment about BIOS corruptions with this board - it is a very real and scary problem - it has happened to me 3 times. If you don't have a spare BIOS chip, or another board to hotflash your old chip this can cripple your system for weeks while you wait for a replacement.

The problem lies in the battery the board is shipped with - it puts out insufficient power and causes random BIOS corruptions when saving options. To fix it simply take out the battery, take it to your local Canadian Tire or hardware store, and show it to them. They will sell you a new one for about $5 that will put out the right amount of power and (hopefully! It doesn't always work apparently!) will end the problem. Go for a Duracell.

Back