• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-7VT600 temp sensors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EBH

I have a very hardwareish question about this mobo... I think this applies to a lot more gb mobos, but here it goes:

In bios and in easytune it shows 2 temps: system temp and cpu temp, but in mbm5 and cpucool and i bet all the other hardware monitoring software it shows a third sensor which shows a temp close to the system temp (a bit higher... 2-4 deg celsius). What's that sensor? And where is the system temp sensor located ?? (i don' t think that third sensor shows the chipset temp because the chipset is hotter that that - judging by "touch" sensor)

By the way, this mobo sucks at oc (i see it's not just me/mine from the many threads of dissapointed ppl who got this board thinking about great future oc.... :( too bad)

Not sure about the where the sesor is but aparently Gigabyte run the CPU temp from the chip itself as many other boards have a sensor below the chip built into the board, also the ability not to unlock the AGP and PCI clock frequency is down to VIA not allowing it where as the nforce2 chip set do. I am also very dissapointed with this board and am sending it back in exchange for the nforce2 board

unfortunately i can't return this (the shop where i bought it only exchanges the board you bought from them - even if it is like 3 days later - if it dies during warranty and they don't have the same model.... :( )

i would also like some nforce2 based mobo (and not gigabyte because i don't like the vcore changing "options")... an abit or epox would be best....

Excuse the thread necromancy... I have a similar question to the OP about this socket A mobo.

I bought an older computer for my first attempts at building, tinkering, and learning Linux. It has a Gigabyte 7VT600 1394 mobo, Sempron 2800 CPU with stock fan/heatsink, 2 x 512 Mb Ultra PC3200 RAM, HDD, CD-RW. The OS is Ubuntu Dapper. I installed the "computertemp" gnome applet which shows 3 temperatures:

9191-0290 40°C
9192-0290 38°C
9193-0290 59°C with Folding@Home running.

With F@H off for 15 minutes, the temps are:
9191-0290 36°C
9192-0290 32°C
9193-0290 51°C

The sensors command in the Linux terminal identifies these as:

M/B temperature: 37°C sensor = thermistor
CPU temperature: 33°C sensor = thermistor
Temperature 3: 51°C sensor = diode

The sensors command also identifies 3 fans: two are sensed as running and the third isn't. Not surprising as the only two fans are the CPU fan and the case fan.

So, what is the third temperature, and how can I reduce it? The "Temperature 3" on my box seems to be a lot higher than EBH found on his. I've looked at the reviews around the 'net but have not found any helpful information. TIA!

Back