• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade from the Abit SE6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nicco

Registered
Hey hey, I've got an abit se6 board from quite a few years ago and the fan connection for the cpu died about a year ago so I had to rewire the fan connection to another spot on the board which increased voltage making the volume of the fan unbearable.

Also my IBM 30gig hard drive is failing so I'm going to be purchasing a new HD sometime and I figure that I may as well get a newer and better motherboard with the fan connecter working and just replace the board and hd while keeping everything else.

So what would be the logical choice for an upgrade to the abit se6 board without having to purchase a p4 or ddr ram?

Plus I'm thinking of getting a 120gig drive with dma133 so I'd like the board to have capable ide channels too I suppos; though 100 would be just fine also.

-thxs

[edit] Also when I had my computer sent from california to vermont my fat converted Alpha PEP66(?) fell off and rattled around and luckily enough didn't really damage too much except for making the heatsink clips weak and the heatsink base a bit scratched up. So I'm looking for a new heatsink/fan combo too for the socket 375{?}. Sorry for the question marks but it's been so long since I've really done anythign inside my computer that I don't really remember what everything is called anymore.

Last edited:
The Abit ST6 is a great mobo, one of the best socket 370 mobos around (in my humble opinion). This also gives you the option of upgrading to a Tualatin CPU too.

Not sure why you are having trouble plugging the fan into another fan header. There should be 3 fan power connectors on that mobo and any of them should work. The easiest fix would be to get a cheap 3 pin to 4 pin convertor and plug in your fan to a molex connector (like what you use for a harddrive or CD-ROM).

I don't think there are many socket 370 mobos with ATA133 controllers. Most will have ATA100 controllers.

A clip from another heatsink, like a stock retail heatsink should work. The base of the Alpha can be "lapped" to smooth it out. Otherwise, lots of decent socket 370/socket A coolers to choose from. The Volcano 7 is pretty reasonably priced.

Last edited:
yeah I don't know what's up with the fan header. It was working fine for over a year or two and then one night I heard the fan just go off and I was like (???) and then it turned on again and did a series of going on and off for a few minutes before I realized what it was that was happening so thinking that the fan was dieing I turned off the machine and after a bit of fooling around figured out that the header by the cpu was dead and that I could get the other header to run it but for osme reason was giving it much more juice than it should have making the ******* extremely loud.

Anyways being in Vermont now I'm pretty shut off from things and I might as well just get a new heatsink/fan combo and a newer mobo.

Back