• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Simple Test]danner mag 3 vs eheim 1250

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EluSiOn

lets see the performance difference between eheim 1250 and danner mag 3

this is only a simple test.... there is no data at all.... but pictures more than thousands words.

First danner mag 3 10 ft long 1/2" tygon tube

dscn0480.jpg

dscn0481.jpg

dscn0482.jpg

dscn0483.jpg

Them Eheim 1250 10 ft long 1/2" tygon tube

dscn0486.jpg

dscn0487.jpg

dscn0488.jpg

If even eheim 1250 is this weak, then what about other pumps?

dscn0449.jpg

by the way... danner mag 3 outlet need to use an O ring, or otherwise, it will leak.... and the damn pump feel as if it will crack if you screw the threaded barb too hard...

dscn0476.jpg

I have not yet put my danner mag 3 in to my system yet... just took it apart and do some testing.. and I found this out... damn I am surprised...

I do admit that Danner Mag 3 is best bang for the buck... but reliability was the main factor that drove me away from the pump... too many leaks here n there...

edit - grammar mistakes... *sigh* i need some sleep

I just ordered 15.... I received 3 already.. and still 12 more coming directly from manufacturers...

It is a group buying... I am going to ship 14 pumps to Taiwan when my gf go back for a visit....

The problems with it leaking can be avoided pretty easily. Usually it's the users error because they use a brass barb and tighten it too tight causing it to crack. I have one in my system with 3 blocks and man that sucker can pump the water fast :)

Biznatch said:
The problems with it leaking can be avoided pretty easily. Usually it's the users error because they use a brass barb and tighten it too tight causing it to crack. I have one in my system with 3 blocks and man that sucker can pump the water fast :)

yeah... it can suck ... it is scary...

i cant stop the top outlet from leaking just using teflon tape... so I went to lowes and bought some o rings.... and it works.. O rings are cheap... by the way... i am using nylon barb fittings... i heard many crack stories about brass barb fittings and danner mag 3

Biznatch said:

www.usplastic.com

62172: URL Nylon Fitting-Female Adapter

62178: URL Nylon Fitting-Male Adapter

You crippled the inlet on the Eheim 1250 though, by changing it to a 1/2" fitting. Im not saying the Eheim 1250 would be more powerful than a Mag 3, but I think the Eheim might have fared a little better.

n6b72g said:
You crippled the inlet on the Eheim 1250 though, by changing it to a 1/2" fitting. Im not saying the Eheim 1250 would be more powerful than a Mag 3, but I think the Eheim might have fared a little better.

you are right....
here is the pics

Eheim 1250 using 5/8" intake and 1/2 outlet over 10 ft of Tygon Tube

dscn0492.jpg

dscn0495.jpg

dscn0496.jpg

dscn0497.jpg

I will do another testing with 5/8 with danner mag 3

wow, I didnt think it would make that big of a difference. Thanks for the testing Elusion.

i was surprised myself... it really shows that many people out there is not using their eheim 1250 the right way...

I used the damn thing for 1 yr with 3/8 intake :mad:

I have a 1/2" fitting on the intake right now as well. I just might have to change that.

Wow...glad I'm using a 1/2" ID intake and a 5/8" ID elbow outlet on my Mag 3.

The thing is...CPU blocks do the exact same thing to the flow when they use the standard 3/8" ID barbs, right?

Area:
3/8" ID = .4415 in^2
1/2" ID = .785 in^2

So a 1/2" ID is about 44% less restrictive (or has 44% more area) than a 3/8" ID. That's a pretty huge difference.

Last edited:
thats definately good to see! Im looking forward to seeing what the danner does with a 5/8 barb on the inlet.

Jon

Back