• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 512megs enough ram to be able to turn off virtual mem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikapc

I've read in the 3dmark optimization sticky on this forum that turning off virtual memory improves performance. Is 512 megs enough to be able to turn of virtual memory? Thanks

Not in Windows XP for sure, Even with a Gig I believe you have to have some sort of a swap file, and some apps & games won;t play if you don't have one, even though you have loads of ram.

On my system (XPproSP1) the OS consumes alomst half of my memory.
If your into GFX, like pictures,movies,etc, you will never get enough mem. I tried to scan a sig.-pack with all the scanner settings on max. The file was like 520 MB and my PC never got finished(usb1). Had to reboot after 30 mins...

According to Mr. Bill Snake 640 KB is more than a computer will ever need... How did he get so stinking rich(Red District?)?

Nope, 512MB is not enough for winxp, even though u don't use applications that use virtual memory as a "must".

just to convince u, windows xp doesn't start to use virtual memory when u used up the 512mb, it probably look for pagefile way before that.

I tried to view a very badly created adobe file, my memory used up to 400MB.

Playing warcraft3 frozen throne, I switch out of a game and loaded interenet explorer, my memory usuage is 630mb.

right now i have 1gb of ram, i disable virtual memory, so far so good.

again it depends on what u want to run.

Back