• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NorthBridge cooling!..any better ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pacino

The devil’s advocate
Guys, that's it!!!!! I've tried almost everything, she's on Swifty NB watercooled and yet the temps are >35c !! and that's on idle too!! .. if I only can bring the temps down, any ideas? I'm running 2.4 @ 4Ghz with these temps .. Yes, everything seem to have a good contact, temps were crazy high on air tho' ... Thinking to use 2 watercooling setup, one is only dedicated to NB. Think this is a good idea?

If you really think you need it.... I would guess that a decent HS on there would do the job...but if it's not doing it well enough watercooling is the next step and sould do you well.

This link could possible be of help.It has a few diff. ideas to consider in resolving your current issue! THE FANMAN:cool:

Scroll down towards the bottom of page:See last pic.
LINK :D

It could be that the NB top is really uneven.

On the frontpage of OC.com there was a picture (in a review) of the contact pattern of a NB and mhy! ghod! there was like four small contact points in the 4 corners! That's it! no more!
It seems to me like the whole plastic package shrinks somewhat more in the center during manufacturing.

When I WC my NB I will surely try to flatten it, at least thake the worst of the corners!

Crapola,what can you expect at 4.0 on a 2.4 GHz.I think I'd double check the mating surface for flatness.Lap time! If you have a H2O block on the NB and its still hot chances are you have a contact issue.Like Paxmax said,this has been a prob. in the past.There are numerous threads here on the subject.:D
THE FANMAN:cool:

Not sure about your particular mainboard, pacino. Is it an Abit by any chance? If so, the possibility does exist that it reports the NB temps at the same 'high-ish' level of +10C that it does for the CPU...

If the temp is accurate, it is indeed on the high side though. My NB (850E@158) runs at 28C full load with the side panel off. And that's with only a small alu sink on it, no fan whatsoever.
I agree with the other that you could try lapping. If there are big irregularities on either chip or HS surface you might be able to see them in the thermal paste footprint. You can lap the sink accordingly.

Yes, it's ABIT MAXIII. See, it's possibly higher than what it reports IMO. Why?
. System crash right after temps hit 34~35c on nb and the heatsink is BURNING hot.. so it can't be just 30'ish!
. When I WC'ed it, my reservior got some "fog" into it, kinda when you pour some hot drink into a glass or something.. and I felt the water, it's way too warm! dammit. Even when I touched the waterblock while it's running, it's amazingly warm!! aaah, that brings the question, IS it really burning that hot? and why? it's the 1st time in 10yrs to see something like that :(

DayUSeX said:
phase change cool it =P

^^^what he said

try cooling your water in a mini fridge, or use a peltier, or something like that should help a little bit. I doubt that you have bad airflow, but hey, anything helps right?

Is the motherboard sensor under the northbridge? I'd look around for a chip called winbond or whatever abit uses. I read on another forum that for the p4p800, the chip was near the memory slots. If that's the case, then it is not reading the nb at all.

Or are you using an external probe to measure the temps?

@f00t: Do they make pelts for NB's? .. I'm about to work on 2 watercooling setups, one is dedicated for NB and the other for my 9800XT & pelt... see, the case is open, it's not even close yet!

@kusojiji: that still doesn't explain the freaking HOT/Burning temps I get when I touched the heatsink! man, I'm about to either get another board or just forget about getting her stable / benchmarkable @ 4Ghz :(

Pacino,I have to think the CPU is making so much heat, that one
H2O system is not enough. Just as you are thinking. At that OC
you have all that I've seen beat,if stable.They were running R 404
and the other dry ice to cool. But they weren't even close to your high. THE FANMAN:cool:

40x40mm peltiers are fairly common. I'd imagine you could fit that on the NB, altough it might be less than 100% fit... most NB sinks are slightly smaller than that.

I read a few posts here and there about weird faulty boards that would have bridge chips that got extraordinarily hot (NF2 comes to mind), even if the system was otherwise ok. Maybe it's a similar build issue with yours...

Back