• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slvrathlon

Registered
I just upgraded my older machine from a 1.2 AMD to a P4 3.0C.

I am new to the world of Intel and to the world of Intel cooling. I am currently using the stock Fan/Heatsink and the thermal pad.
I am not an overclocker and will not be overclocking.

Is using the factory HS/F and pad suggested? Can you guys/gals suggest some nicer HS/F options and should I even bother with AS3?

Thanks much.

i think that even if you don't overclock you might want to remove the thermal pad and put on some thermal compound.... if you won't overclock you probably don't need a third party heatsink.

Arctic silver is a good idea, but if you already have it mounted with the wax I think its best to leave it.

One more quick question.
Example:
With an AMD chip you apply the grease over the small surface of the chip...

Now with the Intel it has a much larger surface to cover but I did notice that the "Pad" is not covering the whole surface.

If I were to apply some AS to the Intel, would I apply it all over the top surface?
Just seems odd that the pad doesn't cover the whole surface of the Intel CPU.

Thanks.

What is your CPU tempature in your bios? On my stock HS my temps where high just trying to get my HDD,s to load XP Pro.
At that point I decided to get the SP-94 HS from,thermalright.
I still had no intent to OC at that time.I had read that the cooler your components stay the longer they last.Just a few things to ponder, THE FANMAN:cool:

if youve already used the stock HS/F with the pad, thenremoving the pad will be tricky, since the pad will already have melted by then, you can warm it up a bit and then scrape it of with a plastic (non-static) card or something...

if youd want the AS to give great results, also lap the HS to get the remains of the pad out of there... or as i read somewhere, someone used a t-shirt with some lemon oil i believe, to remove the last bits of pad from the HS and CPU...

and yes, you must cover the entire IHS (integrated heat spreader)

cover the whole IHS.

You want to have as large of thermal conduction area as you possibly can. In thermal dynamic there is something called thermal density and the higher it is, the harder to cool the damn thing. I wonder what weed are AS engineers smoking nowaday.

IMO. If you want to clean the thermal pad gunk quick and easy you can use "brake clean" from a auto parts store sray it on a rag and just wipe off the gunk. Is same thing as electrical parts cleaner but ussualy cheaper.

slvrathlon is that an advertisment in your sig? Are we allowed to do that now? Anyway never use lemon oil, or anything with with any sort of oil to remove the thermal pad. Carefully scrape it off with a razorblade then clean the residue off with rubbing alcohol, 91% or better and a lintfree cloth. Lapping also helps remove any residue. Thats my way, now overclock that baby.

Grande Juan said:
slvrathlon is that an advertisment in your sig? Are we allowed to do that now?

I removed the other page just in case if it isn't allowed. It wasn't for advertisment... I ask a couple forum members for adivce on building the site and I guess I had just left it in there.
Now it is just my personal page. :)

Anyway never use lemon oil, or anything with with any sort of oil to remove the thermal pad. Carefully scrape it off with a razorblade then clean the residue off with rubbing alcohol, 91% or better and a lintfree cloth. Lapping also helps remove any residue. Thats my way, now overclock that baby.

Yes I have heard that the rubbing alcohol is the best way to go. Thanks alot guys for all the advice.
I will be doing this, this weekend.

I should jump into the BIOS and check to see what the temp is, as I have no idea what it is right now.

Back