• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering new motherboard, and the nominees are...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Whoopr4theCoppr

Registered
I'm planning to oc a 2100+. Can anyone tell me which board is the best bang for the buck? The nominees are:

Shuttle AN35N-Ultra
Asus A7V8X-X
MSI K7N2 Delta-L
and possibly
Abit NF7-S (though it's a little expensive)

Can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvantages to any of these boards? I read somewhere that the voltage setting can't be adjusted on the Shuttle board. Is this true?

Thanks.

Personly i have had the A7N8X and a NF7-s they are both great boards, i did get a slightly higher overclock on the NF7-s, i think in part becouse the A7N8X dose not have a 12v plug on the board like the NF7-s dose. I would recomand a NF7-s to anyone that would like to overclock, its a great board and has many options like the sound storm on board.

The best bang for the buck on that list is the Shuttle AN35N-Ultra. It is a very popular board around here for budget nForce2 systems. It's not the greatest overclocking nForce2 board, but for its price it does a decent job. One board that you didnt include on your list is the Abit NF7 (non-S) In terms of overclocking, the NF7 overclocks just about the same as the NF7-S. The only difference between the two is that the NF7 doesnt have SATA, Firewire, or Soundstorm audio. It's only $80 at Newegg

AN35N Ultra $55
XP1700+ $41
Buffalo\Winbond $85
ti4200 $95
Fortron 350watt $37

220FSB x 10.5 = 2310mhz
7-3-3-2.5 @ Auto voltage
14,000 3DMarks
3223/2902 Memory bandwidth

Works for me!

Regards, Balrog

If the ASUS m/b listed is really the 'V' (third position), i.e. Via KT400 chipset, then that one is out of the running. The rest are nForce2 m/b's. The Abit is an excellent OC'er, although it is more expensive.

Balrog, how did you get so high? On my dad's an35n-ultra with 2x256mb buffalo with ch-5 chips, it can barely do 205 stable! That is with all voltages bumped up.

I am a huge fan of the NF7-S. If you don't need the extra features of the -S then you can save some bucks and get the NF7, which is a great ocer as well and a pretty good bang for your buck..

Disable APIC before OS install and running in single channel mode slots 1 & 2 with Auto VDimm, stable, cool and real fast. Benches way better than 205FSB in dual channel. I tried both @200FSB and only found difference in a couple of benchies and that was so small that continuing dual channel didn't make sense to me. It felt bogged down running a high FSB in dual mode like the memory latencies were slowing it down, it flat out flies now. The AN35N Ultra can also run 230FSB+ with real good memory like Mushkin Black.

Regards, Balrog

I'm running cheap memory, bumped the voltages up a smidge, and my AN35N Ultra screams. See sig for details :~

the nf7-s is the board to go with. i have the asus and honestly its good but for overclocking i would get the nf7-s. but good job with the 2100+, one of the best overclocking processors.:)

i am very interested in this topic too, what is the difference between the AN35 and the AN35 Ultra? also, i am wondering how many of you guys think it is worth having onboard SATA, or onboard RAID.

emilio

AN35N Ultra = Dual Channel
AN35N 400 = Single Channel

Personally from all I've read SATA and RAID sound great and some benchmarks make them look good but for most people they don't provide a noticeable difference. They do have certain applications where they're helpful. If you decide later you want them you can use an add-on card, you gotta use those PCI slots for something. Check out www.dansdata.com and www.xbitlabs.com as they both had recent articles regarding this.

Regards, Balrog

Another vote for the Abit NF7-S Rev2.0 here. As for the money thing, I found mine for only $80 brand new. You just gotta know where to look that's all.

Yup those Soltek are sweet boards, but they pulled their support out if the US so many people have stopped carrying them. I believe they are still available at AJump or MWave.

Regards, Balrog

Back