• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Crashing with my new NF7-S board running Prime 95, etc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Medar

Registered
OK, here is my issue...and I have no idea how to fix this at this point.

I am running my below NEW rig. Playing Battlefield 1942 online...and I crash to desktop. So I think...game issue, or video driver issue. So I update my ATI Catalyst driver from 3.7 to 3.8, then 3.10...still crashing on all three. So I drop my overclock from 2GHz back to 1700, then down to the stock 1.4Ghz of the 2100+ (no OC at this point).

Still crashing.

Then I think, it must be the game. So I reload Prime 95 and start the stress test, it does not even pass TEST 1 - ie I have an immediate issue and am not overclocked at all. So I am now thinking Memory issue. I am running my Kingston on "optimal" in BIOS - it is set at 2-2-2-6. I run memtest86 on it overnight, and it runs all night with zero issues, so it appears fine.

But I still crash Prime 95 immediately.

Now even BETTER - my 2100+ XP CPU is a revision B Thoroughbred that I pulled out of my KT7-RAID...and I had it overclocked on my KT7-RAID board at 2GHz with NO ISSUES running Prime 95 for 24 hours. I ran it this way for the last 3 months. So I am not thinking it is the CPU either.

FYI I also reinstalled Windows Home - so it is fresh on my WD HDD. At this point, the only absolutely NEW pieces in my current rig (stuff I did not run in my old box) are my Kingston RAM, and my Motherboard.

RAM tested out on memtest86 - is there another way to see if it is crashing me?

Motherboard - is there any way to determine if I somehow have an issue here?

Also - I am not yet overly familiar with the NF7-S BIOS settings, and I have the BIOS the board came with loaded...I have not flashed a new BIOS at all. I got the board from NewEgg at Christmas, and the only driver updates I have performed are the NVidia nforce driver updates...I crashed before AND after these as well...so they are not it.

Any ideas? And thanks ahead of time.

Ironically, and I am not sure why after reading the updates...my BIOS came with revision 19, and I updated to 21 per Carmine's post.

Ran Prime 95 using stock settings on all devices for the past 4 hours now...NO issues.

Go figure. Going to start trying to stress it out again and get my box back up above 2GHz.

Thanks for the help....that might have done the trick.

BF1942 had issues with crashing to desk top.

I would suspect that as a culprit, especially if you are not having problems elsewhere.

Well that was my initial assumption was that it was bad BF1942 coding.

Then I thought Video Drivers.

But when I started crashing Prime 95 on a previously tested CPU...I was lost.

Version 21 of the BIOS fixed these issues for some reason, it was the only thing I changed. I ran Prime 95 from 5pm until this morning...zero issues. Also ran memtest86 and a host of other programs, so that looked to fix the issue.

Try upping the CPU voltage, the NF7-S tends to undervolt a little which causes instabilities.. I have mine at 1.75, and its completly stable.

Back