• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dolphin 385 vs Eheim 1048

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kusojiji

I ran a similar test that someone else did with the eheim vs mag (?).

Here's the eheim 1048.

Attachments

• dsc00036.jpg
    dsc00036.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 179
Here's the 3/4 inch hose on the eheim. I just removed the suction barb and slid the hose on. I did this to try to minimize suction loss and equal the playing field between the two pumps.

I also refitted the eheim discharge barb with a larger inner diameter barb than what came with the pump.

Attachments

• dsc00038.jpg
    dsc00038.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 167
First up is the eheim. The first shot is the setup. Second is the water discharge at pump level and the next is at about 2 ft head.

Attachments

• dsc00040.jpg
    dsc00040.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 166
Next up is the dolphin 385. This one takes 3/4 inch suction and 1/2 inch discharge. It can do 3/4 inch, but that would be much for an in-case system.

First shot is setup.

Attachments

• dsc00043.jpg
    dsc00043.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 157
Next series is the pressure comparison. The first shot is the dolphin at 2 ft head. notice how far the water reaches.

Attachments

• dsc00046.jpg
    dsc00046.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 152
and the eheim at 2 ft head. I had the hose outlet at level and at the same point for both pumps.

Attachments

• dsc00049.jpg
    dsc00049.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 148
As for the noise, the eheim is noticably quieter.

I have a tiny, 2 second mpg in the zip file. Hope this works.

Eheim first.

This was done in my shower/bathroom and is tiled all around so the noise just echos all around and is amplified, so bear that in mind.

Attachments

• mov00050.zip
    134 KB · Views: 45
Next up is the dolphin. You can hear the impeller rattling. I may try the via fix and glue the impeller to the magnet. mine isn't loose though.

Attachments

• mov00047.zip
    140.2 KB · Views: 43
That's it. sorry for being kinda long, but I don't know how to add two pictures to a frame in this forum.

Don't you want the water to shoot straight up? Maybe both clamped/tied down next to one another going at the same time?

the dolphin rattles when running normally. My other one quieted down when I glued the impeller. this one's impeller is not loose, but it still rattles.

As for running together, what would that do?

Yeah, would have been easier to see. Unfortunately, that's about all the spare hose that I had left!

Also, I don't think my faucet would have been able to keep up with the two pumps working together. It was having a hard time with the dolphin.

Did the mov files in the zips work okay?

kusojiji said:
Yeah, would have been easier to see. Unfortunately, that's about all the spare hose that I had left!

Also, I don't think my faucet would have been able to keep up with the two pumps working together. It was having a hard time with the dolphin.

Did the mov files in the zips work okay?

Yes! The mov files were great!

Back