• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I cut my barbs short on my HC? Pic inside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vengance_01

Someone told me to this, so i decided to make a thread about it. here is the pic

SV400014.JPG

my 1/2 ID tubbing will not fir over both barbs. Do I have to just heat the tube in hot water and try then?

Hey Vengance,

I was able to get Clearflex 1/2" ID tubing forced over the stock barbs on my Chevette HC. I did soften the tubing with very hot water for a few minutes. It wasn't easy, but it can be done.

IM000749.JPG

I am not an expert in WC, but I suspect some folks will tell you to cut your barbs just to remove the bends in them. Every bend in the system can have an adverse impact on your flow. You may want to cut them off if doing so will help with tube routing in your system.

If you can get your hands on a heat gun you can use it to heat the tubing up and a little silicone spray on the barbs and it will slip right over. In a pinch when I've left my heat gun at work I've used my wifes blowdryer, it takes a little longer but it works alright.

Yeah, cut off the bends to make them straight and to make it easier to fit your tubing over. I'd leave about 2" on though.

Back