• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Top of the line ram....Money no object...your recomendation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PsycoPhreak

As the title says, I'm looking for top of the line ram, money isn't a question here, I need input on what would be the BEST I could buy...

I'm looking for 1gig ( 512x2 ) to run in dual channel on my P4C800 dlx, I know all the brands, and I know all the specs, but, without being able to try them ALL out, I need YOUR help in making a choice. ( got screwed by local dealer i've trusted for years, bought what was suposed to be crucial 3200...turned out to be 2100, big mistake for them, now someone else will get the $$$$ i've got to burn on toys...heh heh )

I'll be placing a fairly large order wth New Egg ( of course ) and ram will just be one of several things i'll be getting along with a couple raptors ( 74g ) some cooling supplies( may be going the way of WC ), possible laptop, and several other toys I have yet to make a final decision on ( digi-cam is another thats gonna be tough...but that is another section...)

The ram is what I can't decide on...Geil..Mushkin...Kingston H-x...Corsair...just to name a few...OHHH the choices the choices...my head hurts....

Sooooooo....if you were going to buy 1 gig of THE BEST available...and money was no object....what would you get? why?

Help me get rid of this pounding headache...:D

P.S. I'm kinda leaning towards the "Geil Golden Dragon Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-4000 - Retail" that newegg has...$311 not bad...and its sooo dang perty....:D but, if there's better I want to know about it.

EDIT: looks like mushkin so far, keep the replies flowing, as I still have some time before I place my order...

Last edited:
money is no object, then get MUSHKIN. period.
MUSHKIN :D
get a tshirt while you're there too, and some ball point pens :p

If money were no object, I'd buy a couple dozen sticks of Mushkin Level II, test them all, pick the two absolute fastest, and return the rest and eat the 15% restock on the sticks that at least made spec.

skane said:
If money were no object, I'd buy a couple dozen sticks of Mushkin Level II, test them all, pick the two absolute fastest, and return the rest and eat the 15% restock on the sticks that at least made spec.

:) That is a good plan.

Or you could keep the lesser performing sticks, then sell it on the BH-5 "black-market" after availibility of this memory degrades even further then it is now.

you bring up a good point.

The mushkin level 2 will do nicely with tight timings, but other ram will do nicely with high fsb.

So its all about what you want to do with your ram, that is how you would define "best ram"

If you want tight timings, go mushkin level 2 pc3500 =)

Speed_Mechanic2 said:

:) That is a good plan.

Or you could keep the lesser performing sticks, then sell it on the BH-5 "black-market" after availibility of this memory degrades even further then it is now.

That is not a bad idea, something to think about as I have a few friends who won't buy online, and be willing to pay top dollar for it...heh heh heh but that would be wrong...LOL

blackjackel said:

The mushkin level 2 will do nicely with tight timings, but other ram will do nicely with high fsb.

So its all about what you want to do with your ram, that is how you would define "best ram"

That is a good point. What I want is somewhere in the middle, something that will have good timings, but will also handle high fsb.... I will be planning to push it to its limit, at the tightest timings possible...

tom10167 said:
If money is no object I would get 2x1,024, just a suggestion.

I'm only going for 1gig as I have read that 1024x2 is not as stable as 512x2 in DC, besides, this will also only be temporary, as i'll be building another system in 2 months and the one this ram I buy is going in, will be pushed down the line as another backup rig, or be given to my GF.

iLLestOne said:
If your vdimm can go up to 3.3v, then I've seen 250fsb 2-2-2-11 on muskins. Probally could go even higher. They LOVE volts.

On the P4C800 dlx, seems as though it only goes up to 2.8, anything more and I'd have to mod the board..( which I can't do, I no longer have the dexterity required to work with small components..40% loss of use in left arm/hand, I really miss doing things like that ) I have thought about having someone do it for me though.

If you wanted a board that offers high stable vDIMM, then you could get either a DFI LanParty 875B (i875P-chipset; $179 @ NewEgg) or an Abit AI7 (i865PE-chipset; $112 @ NewEgg).

Both these boards offer vDIMM up to 3.3V/3.2V without any mods and are more stable then the Abit IC7-MAX3 at high vDIMM.

On the P4C800 dlx, seems as though it only goes up to 2.8, anything more and I'd have to mod the board

You can do the mod soldier-less using "grabbers". I just picked up a set so when I get my max3 back, I'll mod this one (gotta keep a box running 24/7).
You could have just about anyone do it with you ;)

Btw, using a 3.0c and the 3 differant dual dimms (Corsair 3200pro & 4000pro, OCZ 3700 EL Gold rev2. and some other Corsair XMS3500c2) and 2 differant mobos, I can't get more than 220 fsb stable enough to game (though I don't think the max3 ever really ran right, seems slow compared to P4C800dlx).
Kinda tells ya I got a 'dud' of a 3.0.... You wanna 2.4 or 2.6, Trust Me ;);)

Last edited:
Speed_Mechanic2 said:
If you wanted a board that offers high stable vDIMM, then you could get either a DFI LanParty 875B (i875P-chipset; $179 @ NewEgg) or an Abit AI7 (i865PE-chipset; $112 @ NewEgg).

Both these boards offer vDIMM up to 3.3V/3.2V without any mods and are more stable then the Abit IC7-MAX3 at high vDIMM.

I second that motion, DFI for the rich man!!

I'd go Mushkin PC3500 Level 2 black (2x512) can't go wrong with the speed Cas2, with tight timings, although Ive heard PC4000 Buffalo with nice BH-5 or even Corsair XMS but off the top of my head id say go Mushkin you can't go wrong.

Back