• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin PC3200 "Special 222"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

obsolete

Anyone have any luck with overclocking this memory? I can't seem to get anywhere past 210 with real loose timings. The recommended timings are not so good either when raising the fsb. I have not played around with it that much as I just got it today. I do have them running dual 256x2.

Any input would be great, Thanks, always appreciated!

-ºb§

Since these are bh-6 modules, they aren't going to be anywhere near as overclockable as the infamous bh-5.

Since bh-6 chips are developed to run 2 x 166MHz (PC2700), they are already overclocked to 2 x 200, or PC3200 - getting much more out of these 'special' dimms will be a challenge.

They still have the 2 x 512MB Mushkin PC3500 Level II with BH-5 chips, but they want a whopping $330 for 'em.

Last time I checked, they also still had Kingston HyperX PC3000 that has been reported to be using BH-5. Just make sure it's the 'Non-A' product. - Or just check the timings in Newegg's product description.

mattspalace, after all the reading, i have to decided to stay with my brand but im just gonna get 2x512... pc3200... do u think pc3500 is way better?

So you're staying with Geil right?

What memory ratio do you plan on running - 5:4 is what I'm guessing. PC3200 or PC3500 should be fine for that.
Chances are the PC3500 is just overclocked PC3200 anyway..

ic, i think i ordered pc3200 like 25 minutes ago.. hehehe so i should stick with that then? :) my settings are on my sig, pls check :)

here is the link :) btw are my settings ok? others say my vcore is too high but if i lower it, my computer get lock ups :(

Your CPU voltage is fine, and I think your settings look good using a 5:4 ratio.. You could always try switching to a 3:2 ratio and shooting for the moon with your 2.4C. I wouldn't go above 1.65v to the CPU - depending on cooling.
I'd say you'll also have more headroom with a 5:4 ratio and your new memory also.. 255fsb with a 5:4 ratio is ~204Mhz to the memory, so it's likely to go around 210Mhz without much tweaking.

ok, thanx for the help :) but i wonder y pc3200 is better than pc3500?

Newegg does have the Bh-6, they are currently mis-advertising the Mushkin Level II PC3200 as Mushkin Special 222. I'm going to play around with them a bit. But I can't really afford the PC3500 & I do not think the PC3500 would be compatible with my board. Also, I can't justify spending that much money when my board can only do about 233 fsb. =/

"For one easy payment of $330 you can get a gain of 10 fsb & some relatively tight timings!! No gurantees & no money back refunds!!"

I wouldn't go as far to say that PC3200 is better than PC3500.. It really all depends on the CPU you're using..

A 2.4C is usually run with either a 5:4 or 3:2 ratio, so getting anything higher than PC3500 is really unnecesary, and one would give up tighter timings going with higher rated memory..

A 2.6C is a little different because it's either ran with a 1:1 ratio or a 5:4 ratio.. 2.6C's really don't go much higher than 265fsb, due to higher multiplier, so a 3:2 ratio for a 2.6C is really a waste IMO.. The best memory here really depends on how a person plans on overclocking.

A 2.8C is almost always ran at 1:1 ratio and somewhere around a 250fsb - few will go higher on air cooling. I see very few people running these at a 5:4 ratio. A 2.8C is a very good match for PC4000 with a 1:1 ratio. The higher multi and high fsb means one has a high MHz for the CPU and also a high fsb.. Best of both worlds.

Hope that helps :)

ic, it surely help but one thing... is its ok if i get the pc3500 version of my ram then?

coz basing on my pc3200, im on vdimm 2.85 if i go pc3500 i might need to vdimm mod and i dont like to do mods :(

You're less likely to need a vDimm mod with PC3500 than PC3200 just because the PC3500 is rated to run at higher speeds.
If you plan on staying with a 5:4 ratio, might be a good idea to go with PC3500 so your memory doesn't run out of headroom as fast.

headroom? what do u mean? ok.. so im gonna get pc3500 since u said it doesnt need vdimm mod :)

If you plan on stayingn with a 5:4 ratio, then go with PC3500.
If you got to a 275fsb to the CPU, that would be 220fsb to the memory - well within most PC3500 capability, and you'll still have pretty tight timings.

thanx for helping me :) I really appreiciate it... i just wonder, if my ram is pc3500 and suddenly one of these days i want to run on default settings, not oc'd, will it still work? :)

Back