• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best waterpump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

situman

What's the best waterpump in terms of quality, flow, head pressure and noise? I plan to really push my system with a cpu, nb, and gpu block. need a really good pump. Price is not an issue. Please all suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Iwaki MD20RZT cannot be beat if price isnt an issue. They are around $180 unless someone knows where to get one for cheaper than that. Custom Aquatic has them.

if ur luckly u can get that iwaki on ebay for less..

if thats way too expensive, the mag 3(~$50), IMO, is really good quality, good flow, amazing head (which matters the most) and no noise, but there is some vibration which isn't to hard to get rid off. may people here on the forum have invented some neat ways to get rid of it. there is also the mag 5, mag 7, ect. for more flow/head, but mag 3 has the best ratio and puts out less heat into ur water.

Yes an Eheim 1250 would fit your needs but you would have more flow throughout your loop with the Iwaki MD20RZT due to its incredibly high head rating.

You also might want to check the noise thread about that one. The difference between most watercooling pumps is about 0.6C (That's the difference between the Mag 3 and the MCP 600, and also between the Mag 3 and the Eheim 1250 [The Mag 3 got the higher temps in both of the calculations, due to increased heat]) The MD20RZ has more heat than the Mag 3, but increased flow. I'll do the calculations in a minute.

The MD20RZ will acheive a thermal resistance of 0.17C/W with the WW, at a flow rate of 2.6GPM. However, it puts 30 watts of heat into the water, and, with a procore setup, that will acheive a water temperature of 0.3C above the Mag 3. The Mag 3 gets a thermal resistance of 0.175, with a flow rate of 2.2GPM. So, there is a thermal resistance difference of 0.005C/W, and that, multiplied by 125W, equals 0.625 degrees cooler with the MD20RZ, but, the water temperature is 0.3C warmer, so, the processor is 0.325 degrees cooler. If you want to spend $140 to get 0.325C cooler, go ahead...

Edit: This is with a WW and Procore setup.

Last edited:
AngryAlpaca said:
You also might want to check the noise thread about that one. The difference between most watercooling pumps is about 0.6C (That's the difference between the Mag 3 and the MCP 600, and also between the Mag 3 and the Eheim 1250 [The Mag 3 got the higher temps in both of the calculations, due to increased heat]) The MD20RZ has more heat than the Mag 3, but increased flow. I'll do the calculations in a minute.

The MD20RZ will acheive a thermal resistance of 0.17C/W with the WW, at a flow rate of 2.6GPM. However, it puts 30 watts of heat into the water, and, with a procore setup, that will acheive a water temperature of 0.3C above the Mag 3. The Mag 3 gets a thermal resistance of 0.175, with a flow rate of 2.2GPM. So, there is a thermal resistance difference of 0.005C/W, and that, multiplied by 125W, equals 0.625 degrees cooler with the MD20RZ, but, the water temperature is 0.3C warmer, so, the processor is 0.325 degrees cooler. If you want to spend $140 to get 0.325C cooler, go ahead...

Edit: This is with a WW and Procore setup.

out of curiosity where are you sourcing the flow resistance figures for these calculations?

just for interest run the same ones with an RBX (less flow resistant and more responsive to higher flow...)

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=263209&highlight=cathar+pump+comparison I use this, and BillA's WW testing for the C/W. I assume a radiator thermal resistance of 0.03, which would happen with a Procore with a high powered fan. An RBX has around 2" less resistance, so I doubt that would make much of a difference. With the way I use the graphs, I wouldn't be able to make out a difference between 16.3" and 18" drop. BillA didn't do a curve on the RBX, and pHaestus', while still accurate, isn't comparable. I suppose I could do them both using pHaestus', but he doesn't assign a C/W rating. I supposed I could look that up his wattage, though, and then figure it out.

Bah. There is no wattage figure. It can't be used for calculations, just comparison.

AngryAlpaca said:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=263209&highlight=cathar+pump+comparison I use this, and BillA's WW testing for the C/W. I assume a radiator thermal resistance of 0.03, which would happen with a Procore with a high powered fan. An RBX has around 2" less resistance, so I doubt that would make much of a difference. With the way I use the graphs, I wouldn't be able to make out a difference between 16.3" and 18" drop. BillA didn't do a curve on the RBX, and pHaestus', while still accurate, isn't comparable. I suppose I could do them both using pHaestus', but he doesn't assign a C/W rating. I supposed I could look that up his wattage, though, and then figure it out.

Bah. There is no wattage figure. It can't be used for calculations, just comparison.

i thought the flows seemed a bit high...those are of a whitewater alone - no tubing/rad etc...

Oh crap you're right. I thought he used a typical setup in that comparison. Damnit. Back to looking up stuff, then.

Using Excel, with a WW (18") a Procore (3") and tubing with turns and such (10", rather arbitrary) the Mag 3 gets 7LPM, and the MD20RZ gets 9.2LPM. That's 1.4 lower for the Mag 3, and 0.7 lower for the MD20RZ. I like Excel. Now, switching my waterblock value to 16.3" for the RBX, we get 7.3LPM (1.9GPM) and 9.25LPM (2.4). Not a big difference.

My pump figures aren't too great. I was using Cathar's graph. What number do you think I should use for my random other restrictions? I think 10 might be too high.

Last edited:
AngryAlpaca said:
Using Excel, with a WW (18") a Procore (3") and tubing with turns and such (10", rather arbitrary) the Mag 3 gets 7LPM, and the MD20RZ gets 9.2LPM. That's 1.4 lower for the Mag 3, and 0.7 lower for the MD20RZ. I like Excel. Now, switching my waterblock value to 16.3" for the RBX, we get 7.3LPM (1.9GPM) and 9.25LPM (2.4). Not a big difference.

My pump figures aren't too great. I was using Cathar's graph. What number do you think I should use for my random other restrictions? I think 10 might be too high.
can get tubing resistance from here......
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=266553

Straight tubing. It's rather irrelevant. But, it does highlight the huge difference between 3/8" and 1/2". Screw this 1/2" wuss stuff, I'm switching to 1" next week.

I really enjoy my mcp600. It is really quiet and stable. It gives out very little heat or noise such as rattling. It is rated for 160gph which is average and 10.5 feet of head which is great. This pump is best used in a system with multiple blocks or when using a really flow restricted block such as a danger den rbx or whitewater.

Keep clocking

Hows the noise one hte Danger den pump that Shroomr linked us? Now im leaning towards the Eheim or the Swiftech. But the Danger Den seems enticing too. Just dont seem to have any specs on that thing

Back