• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! bad ram or bad mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masterwoot

I'm running memtest86 and getting errors:
With 2 sticks of Corsair DDR400 512MB in, I get errors in test #5 as follows:

400fsb = 7772 errors per test pass (on average)
380fsb = 91 errors per test pass (on average)
360fsb = 8 errors per test pass (on average)
333fsb = 0 errors per test pass (on average)

With only one stick in, either stick, any slot, I get 0 errors on all the tests running at 400fsb.

Is the mobo bad? or the ram?? Help please, please, please.

Specs:
athlon 3000+ (400fsb, w/ multiplier locked @ 10.5)
1GB (2x512) Corsair VS1GBKIT400 PC3200
DFI NFII UltraB mobo (current bios 11/27/03)
Thermalright SLK900U (operating CPU temp ~32C, case temp ~39C)
Saphire radeon 9800pro (omega drivers 2.5.22)
Enermax "noisetaker" 370W PSU

Settings for CPU: 1.65 V, 10.5 multiplier, 200mhz fsb
Settings for RAM: 2.5-3-3-8, 2.6 or 2.7 volts, 1:1 ratio

Sounds like your mobo is doing something funky, weather or not it’s bad I couldn’t say but to see both strips of RAM to run fine (at 400FSB no less) on their own. Also are you or have you tried running the memory dual channel?

If you’re not running the most current BIOS for your mobo you might want to upgrade. Aside from that it really seems like your mobo is doing something strange, I mean you can run both strips fine (at a stock 333FSB) and one strip fine (at 400FSB) but both at the same time gives you errors.

Crazy ****.

I suggest you try a beta bios - they fix a lot of the quirky issues on the board. I myself am using the 1/31 beta bios and have had no problems. I couldn't do anything with the official ones, however. Shoot over to www.amdforums.com and look for some of the beta bioses and give them a shot.

I would suggest trying 2.9v to mem as you are using 1G an with 512meg you are not getting errors. More mem needs more voltage. Also that is Corsair value ram an not XMS which performs better. 2.9v will not hurt the mem so give it a whirl. Also set chipset voltage to 1.7 or 1.8 an agp voltage to 1.6v, vcore to 1.70v as the mobo under volt a little.

i've gone w/ 3.0V for the ram, it's more stable, but still giving errors w/ memtest (averaging 1 error every 2 tests on test #5)
even though it's "value ram" something seems strange to have to bumb up the voltage 15% of stock setting/rating.

deception`` said:
I suggest you try a beta bios - they fix a lot of the quirky issues on the board. I myself am using the 1/31 beta bios and have had no problems. I couldn't do anything with the official ones, however. Shoot over to www.amdforums.com and look for some of the beta bioses and give them a shot.

Great advise just updated my board. Before it did a funny thing, if I changed the chipset voltage no boot WTF. Had to clear Cmos.
Im able to start clinbing the bus speed, 217 currently.
I love this forum

Back