• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problems with memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mastersapo

Im new to these forums so bare with me if a problem like this has been previously listed.
I have 2 computers both of which are liquid cooled and run on average about 95 degrees farenheit. the first setup is as follows:
Asus a7n8x with 350 watt power supply
athlon xp 2500+ barton
768 megs of pc 2100 memory
geforce 4 ti 4200

and the second is:
lan party nforce 2 ultra b with 500 watt power supply
athlon xp 2600+ barton
512 megs of pc 2100 memory
geforce 4 mx 440 SE

the problem is for some reason the memory i buy which is over pc 2100 tends to have a high number of errors.
i have a stick of 512 megs of pc 2700 Ultra memory
aswell as a stick of premium 512 mb pc 3200 memory.
both when used in either board have errors in the upper memory register when running memtest. Pc 2100 memory works perfectly when it is put in. Is it possible that the bios is setting up the memory incorrectly? if so what settings should i use?

well what are your pc2700 timmings rated to and waht speed are you running them at also what voltage are you giving them???? run them there rated timmings...Give Them High Vdimm and i would like to kno what speed you have them at??

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!

they are auto set to optimal in the bios
and the voltage is 2.6 volts set to auto in the bios

im not sure what timings i should set the memory at for either memory and also should i set the dram voltage higher and if so how much?

also they are set to run by speed in the bios, with the pc 3200 running at 200 fsb and the pc 2700 running at 166.
for some reason however, the pc 2100 also runs at 166.

i kno that part but do you actually have your FSB set to 200FSB with 1:1 divider...and take them both off auto set the Vdimm to the max

i have tried them at various FSBs including 133, 166, 200 set at 1:1 or at by spd.
also the maximum voltage for the dram setting is like 5 volts, is that too high or no?

5volts are you sure??? should be around 2.8 volts not 5....ur lucky if u gotta Vdimm of 5 volts...a psu line doesnt even go that high,,,just to 3.3+

the lan party motherboard runs the main power line aswell as an axilary. so i should run at prolly 2.85 volts then?

Use memtest86 to test ur stability of ur ram. Start with loose timings first then go down. Use the "by speed" option or default timings as the loose timings. Have ur vdimm set to atleast 2.7V or more. Try not to load windows without trying to test first. And increase ur FSB slowly, Like 5 increments at a time.

Back