• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.6 V thru BH-5 ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kchip

Is this the norm? Would this be safe for 24/7 and excellant case airflow?

The reason I ask? I sold my BH-5 because it gave me a lot of trouble just to do 205 -210 FSB ( at all timings ) @ 3.2v

The guy I sold it too , says he is running 3.6 - 3.7 volts to it and getting better results in a NF3 board.

I feel like an idiot.....

Sounds like your friend doesnt want the sexy bh5 for long if hes gonna run that 24/7. 3.7v is ALOT , i would only reccomend that for benches like a few hrs or mayby just a highpower burnin

SK8..

How do you like that Kington PC3000? Is it hitting high FSB? I have been shopping for D/C kits ...man o man is it expensive right now. I sold 2 - 512 's of TwinMos for $180

Btw , My buyer stated he would run 4.5v thru it for benches... seems to me he has money to burn or he knows something I dont and Ihave been chasing OC's for 5 years now.

One thing that I hav wondered about : How is it that the memory chips on some of these high end Video Cards is 3.5, 3.6 v default? Memory is memory..are the maufacturers just trying to scare us all into not getting the most bang for our bucks?

I think unless you sold your ram to cpulloverclock then who ever your talking to is pulling your leg. I've run 4V into my ram and let me tell you that much past 3.7V doesn't get you anything really. If he is going to run 3.6-3.7V into his ram he needs to epoxy heatsinks to both sides of the sticks and put a good 92mm fan over them. If he doesn't then they are gonna bo bye bye in less than a month

Steve

kchip said:
SK8..

How do you like that Kington PC3000? Is it hitting high FSB? I have been shopping for D/C kits ...man o man is it expensive right now. I sold 2 - 512 's of TwinMos for $180

Well its running good now, i took off the spreders and i have dw45's but the thing is that i got 0304 so its 100% bh5. I havent gotten to up the freaq due to my loserish msi mobo. When kt600 comes back from rma im gonna test like crazy and if its truly bh5 then im gonna sell it on ebay for muchos $$$

omg, 3.7 is some crazy voltage :eek: I wouldn't advise doing it even if it BH-5. 3.7 is just too much for any chip IMO. :)

If your RAM was BH-5 it was probably your motherboard or CPU limiting your FSB. It is possible it was just crappy BH-5.

You would have to do some serious volt mods to get 3.6 volts to your RAM. That guy with the Nforce 3 is probably going to burn out his processor. I was reading a thread at Xtreme systems and they concluded that super high RAM voltage is bad for A64s. I think it wasted the on-board memory controller.

kchip said:

The guy I sold it too , says he is running 3.6 - 3.7 volts to it and getting better results in a NF3 board.

:eek: I hear past 3.3V on A64''s gets dangerous for the memory controller..... Maybe it was chipset.. 3.6 is a lot for Vdimm.. Im sure the CPU will be feeling a bit of that voltage also tho.

I was thinking of this the other day. Remember the 'old' ram that ran at 3.3 v? How are these chips different, or are they really. Of course they run better, but are they not made from the same material? Are the thermal characteristics really any different?

I know this si sort of an old topic, but some things need corrected.

On A64's, it isn't so much teh high voltage, it's the initial surge that kills teh onboard memory controller. Some people have experimented with somehow using more than one resistor to kind of eat up that extra initial voltage. I'm not sure how it all works, but it makes it somwhat more safe to run high voltage.

As for Bh-5 limit, if I had the voltage, I'd probably run 3.5V+ through them, and see where they top out.

sandman001: you should have gone to xtremesystems instead, 3.5v is some EXTREME voltage. :eek:
But don't companies able to tell you used high voltage so they are not going to accept RMA from doing so? (just wondering, I know a lot of people said you should never RMA things you break)

I'm a member over at XS with over 2K posts. ;)

I heard that winbond said that anything up to 3.6V should be safe with Bh-5, most companies rate conservatively. Some people over there have run 4.3V through thier Bh-5.

sandman001 said:
I'm a member over at XS with over 2K posts. ;)

I heard that winbond said that anything up to 3.6V should be safe with Bh-5, most companies rate conservatively. Some people over there have run 4.3V through thier Bh-5.

How come I don't see you in xtremesystems? :-/

4.3v? :eek: I thought 3.6v is mad enough, I wonder how long before he will see smoke out of the ram if he give it 4.3v.

Back