• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I run memtest?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonas007

I just downloaded memtest86 and it says that I need to boot from my floppy to run the test. Is that all I need to do? Are there any options I need to enable or disable? Thanks.

OK, here is the first thing you need to do.
Of course DL memtest86 and then add it to your floppy, etc. (can't see whats in it since it is a bootable floppy now)
As soon as you restart your comp access your BIOS and go into the BIOS settings and change it so that your comp boots up the floppy as it's first primary drive instead of your harddrive, etc.
Memtest should then work fine (don't forget to change back the BIOS setting after you are done).

This is what I did for my system, just my $0.02

So I place all the files that are in the memtest.zip folder onto a floppy. I boot into the floppy and then what? Does it install it, perform the test or what?

The Ultimate Boot CD

the ultimative solution for most important boot-up-testing-programs like memtest86 etc:

www.ultimatebootcd.com

there you can download a ~45MB zip file containing an ISO-image of this cd. just activate cd-rom-bootup in bios and start burning and testing.

very comfortable!!!

(especially for guys who don't have any floppy drive, those like me :p )

For the Memtest ISO (or the Ultimate Boot CD ISO), nothing special needs to be done in Nero. Just tell it to burn an ISO and it should work. You may need to check a box telling it to finalize the disk, but I am not sure if that is required.

If you use the floppy disk, the ZIP you download should contain two files (if I remember right....). One of them will be a floppy disk image (analagous to a CD-ROM ISO image), and the other a program which will write the contents of that image to a floppy inserted in your drive. Just run that program and it will make the disk bootable and have Memtest on it.

Once you have a working disk, just insert it into it's respective drive and reboot the system. As long as the BIOS is configured to try to boot from that drive before your HD, everything will run fine. Memtest will automatically load up, start testing, and everything. It's that simple :) If you use the Ultimate Boot CD, you will be greeted with a menu that you will need to navigate through to run Memtest. Once you find where Memtest is located and load it, it will open and begin testing.

JigPu

yes. i loaded the ISO in my cd-drive-emulator and made a 1:1 copy. you can also burn the ISO-file directly with cloneCD or nero (i dunno how it works in nero, but it should)

Back