• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU unknown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shady_cb

I have just put in my new CPU MOBO and fan and heatsink but kept the same hard drive for now, but the MOMO doesnt know what my CPU is and and i get an error screen justbefore i get a quick glash of the XP load screen

I have a mobile XP 2500 and a NF7-S mobo

What do you mean an error screen? The motherboard will not 'recognize' the CPU as its a mobile... You will not lose any functionality or performance because of this, so you should not worry about it.

my XP 2400+ isn't recognized by my board but it still works just fine on it. Try getting the latest bios and it my have support for your CPU. Sadly when I killed my 1.4 T-Bird with dry ice the slowest CPU on the market was a 2100+ which was the highest my mombo could support. I decided to just go for it and pay the extra $3 and get a 2400+ and hope it works.:D

As far as the error goes Is the screen blue? That would be BSOD. Check make sure your CPU isn't overheating. My friend had that problem with his CPU when it was getting too warm.

Good luck.

thank good to here that it dont matter.

Yep the screen is blue in brief it says " A problem was deteced and windows had to shut down to prevent any damage

blah blah check for virus

Technical info

stop 0x000000000 blah blah" any ideas

this is my old hard drive from my old pc and it worked find this morning

Just like Kbird said. First thing to do is reformat. Once you get that done if it still does it check make sure your voltage for both memory and CPU is at stock voltage and you are running your computer not overclocked. If the problem goes away your good if not, turn off the computer and take off the HSF pull out the CPU, put it back in, put a new layer of thermal grease (AS5 or equivalent) and go and clean off the HS and fan. Blow all the dust off if there is any. Also if you know how or want / need to go ahead and lap the bottom of the HS. Once all done reattach the HSF onto the CPU / mombo and give it another try. If the problem continues then I don't really know what to tell you.

-Alex-

shady_cb said:
also on the load screen it say it just 600mhz

any suggestion what i should do first Oc that is

Go into bios and check settings. I will go read up on your mombo and see whats your max multi is. Go flash that bios and see if problem goes away.

Athlon 750
100*7.5

Athlon 800
100*8

Athlon 950
100*9.5

Athlon 1G
100*10

Athlon 1.1G
100*11

Athlon 1.2G
100*12

Athlon 1.33G
133*10

Athlon 1.4G
133*10.5

Athlon XP 1500+
133*10

Athlon XP 1600+
133*10.5

Athlon XP 1800+
133*11.5

Athlon XP 1900+
133*12

Athlon XP 2000+
133*12.5

Athlon XP 2100+
133*13

Athlon XP 2200+
133*13.5

Athlon XP 2400+
133*15

Athlon XP 2700+
166*13

Those are all the Athlons your board supports. Below is a link to where u can bios for that board. Below that is a walkthough of how to do it. :D

Bios: http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/bios_revision.php?categories=1&model=124

Walkthough: http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bioshelp.php

Last edited:
so basicly i need to update my bois and hope that it will detect my stock CPU setting and CPU type.

I can do nothing until i have a copy of windows XP and it has not arrived yet :cool:

shady_cb said:
so basicly i need to update my bois and hope that it will detect my stock CPU setting and CPU type.

I can do nothing until i have a copy of windows XP and it has not arrived yet :cool:

yes. It should because while I was looking through all the updates of the bios it seems like they had a few problems. It can't hurt to flash the bios unless you do it wrong. Following those steps will lead to only a possible positive outcome. If you are still having the problem once you flash it post here and I will download the manual and go through it all and tell you what settings to use. :) Im not giving up on this one.... :D

-Alex-

shady_cb said:
just reading the walk through should be ok to do, also what is the best Bois update for the NF7-S MOBO

Thanks [AK]zip

What revision is your board?

Revision 2.0 or Revision 1.0 ~ 1.2?

Generally when you change motherboards on an NT based operating system you will need to do a repair on the OS or reformat. Since all hardware is addressed through the OS when you change the MB it can no longer access the hardware its trying to load when your OS boots. You are changing the top of the tree for the driver architecture and thus all drivers below have to be reinstalled.

infinity9 said:
Generally when you change motherboards on an NT based operating system you will need to do a repair on the OS or reformat. Since all hardware is addressed through the OS when you change the MB it can no longer access the hardware its trying to load when your OS boots. You are changing the top of the tree for the driver architecture and thus all drivers below have to be reinstalled.

Yes, but windows XP is Plug and Play which means on the next boot it should and will automatically detect all the new hardware. I have done this previously when I had to try one of my older hdd's running XP on my friends computer to confirm it was his hdd that had problems. Mine was a 900MHz Athlon and his was a 550MHz Pentium 3. It doesn't get any different then that. Windows took longer then usual to load and then it loaded and detected the rest of the hardware and installed the correct drivers for it. Is it recommended to format and reinstall? Yes it will work much better, but it’s not necessary. Also his problem is not that windows won't load. It’s that it’s showing the wrong CPU and windows has nothing to do with this. I believe that once he solves the problem of the CPU being detected correctly this Windows XP crashing will go away.

Im getting too old for this... lol

-Alex-

F**K sake i cant follow this, i have downloaded the new bois to my mum computer format a floppy "crete a ms dos bootable, then put the file that where extracted onto the floppy put it into my machine and it has booted from the floppy and is waiting for me to type summat but what exactly i know what the site say but aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggg

Back