• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do ya think 2400mhz using 2v @ 53c is safe ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CandymanCan

Disabled
Well im growing tired of seeing my cpu @ 2300all the time its been like this for like a year, well maybe not a year but getting close to it.

I just tried 2400mhz @ 2v, and its stable but the temp gets to like 53c whe non load. Even with my watercooler, but then again 2v is high and thats why the temps are so high.

Do ya think this will be ok for my cpu ? Iv been running it like tis for 3 days now and havent had any problems.

It may not last as long as it would at lower voltages if you run it like that all the time. As long as you don't want it to last overclocked at that speed for years, then I would say the voltage is fine. However, if you would like it to last for a long time, I would suggest bringing the voltage back down a bit.
The temps are fine though - 53C is a fine CPU temp. As we hit the warmer months though I would make sure to watch it carefully to make sure it doesn't get too high.

I've seen 1.95v and up kill chips before, so I would probably recommend against it, especially if you game alot. That's fairly hot.

Dukemurmur said:
i'm at 1.9 on my system with air. And temps are under 43.

WHat speed is ur cpu @ im going off ur sig ur @ 2ghz u sing 1.9v ?

What you dont understand is that @ 2.4ghz using 2.v the cpu uses like 120 watts of electricity which is a heck of alot more then what youre using thats why my temps are high, also i live i nVirginia and it gets verymuggy over here that doesnt help either.

Last edited:
to really run voltage that high, you should keep it closer to 40 if you don't want to compromise your chip's working life.

i run my water rig with my Thourgbred B at 2413mhz 1.68v, 49C idle in this here summertime, all fans on 5v and its really quiet. Runs 24/7 never crashes.
One thing i mite suggest is using sleep mode, that should give ur cpu a wel needed break.

There is NO clear Yes or No answer to predict "life expectancy" regarding to a particular CPU based on voltage and temperature. For a given CPU type, they follow certain statistical behavior.

The inverse relationship between frequency and temperature will naturally determine the max voltage and frequency for a given CPU and cooling setup. If overclocking is done properly, such voltage and temperature should be below the max absolute temperature and voltage of a given CPU specifcation (at least true for Tbred/Barton).

For example, assuming nominal voltage is 1.5 V.

Running it constantly at 1.8 V is 20% over nominal and running it at 1.95 V is 30% over nominal voltage.

From electromigration analysis, keeping temperature roughly constant (by cooling), overvoltage from 20% to 30% decreases CPU failure time (life expectancy) by about 10% (failure time reduced from 69% to 59%)

For Tbred B/Barton/Mobile Barton, the frequency gain between 1.8 V to 1.95 V is about 75-100 MHz at 2300-2500 MHz level, it is stating to operate in the diminishing return regime, getting only 75-100 MHz from 150 mV Vcore increase. The gain in overclocking frequency is about 3 - 4%.

The most effective, cost effective overclocking voltage for Tbred/Barton is between 1.5 - 1.9 V, beyond which overclocking is very costly in terms of power supply and cooling with diminishing frequency gain.

So it is a tradefoff between frequency, voltage and life expectancy.

Going from 1.8 V to 1.95 V, one would get 3 - 4% increase in overclocking frequency at the expense of an additional 10% reduction in CPU life expectancy (statisitically).

But then a different person uses a CPU differently and have different objective, some expect to use it for 6 months, 1 year, some for 3 year, ..., some want to squeeze the last MHz for competition and satifaction, so one has to make his/her own judgement and tradeoff, ...

This post discusses this subject in details:

CPU voltage: from stock to max absolute, from efficient overclocking to diminishing return (page 19)

Last edited:
Haven't I seen that post before... I'm bookmarking it anyway, good info, hitech.

hitech, that NF7-S is begging for an L12 mod...

Back