• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case with built in phase change

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arabarabian

I am thinking about building my own case. I was wondering if any one has thoughts about have a case with two compartments. The bottom compartment would hold the two or three compressors and everything else for phase change. Then the top would hold the motherboard HORIZANTALLY and all the drives. I would then have a very small side enclosure for the PSU so as not to heat up the rest of the system with it. Then I would use one of the compressors to cool the comparment with the motherboard. I will get a drawing A.S.A.P.

if you mount the mainboard horizontally, it will be difficult to cool as the heat would be trapped by the board even with lots of fans.

People have put vapochills in the top of thier Lian-Li's, not quite what you are proposing, but your idea seems like it would work from what you've said so far.

the principle of heat rising would mean that you would get poor cooling. the compressor would have to force the cold freon up, which is a lot for the compressor to overcome. also, the stuff like voltage regulators and whatnot on the back of the board could become overheated by trapped air.

you'd also have a lot of extra tubing for the head to go around the board and then change directions 180 degrees, resulting in poorer cooling.

i mean, this can be done, but compressor on top is the best arrangement.

by the way, what kind of case are you going to use if you're going to put a atx board horizontally?

Last edited:
If you take a lian li put it horizontally, I would guess that 3 vapochills would fit under it and look decent. With 3 compressors there are 3x more things to go wrong so you better have automatic overheat shutoff. 3 compressors for CPU, NB, and GPU, Right?

Here is a rough drawing.
case1.bmp

It will be a big box but I never game so it will not be for LAN parties, only for Linux + Folding and the usual typing and browsing.

i guess if you want to do it just so you can say you have, go for it. but it is a little bit of overkill.

my ghetto probes bottom out @-50 and until i get it finished and test it under load i wont know but im hoping for -20 to -25 on die temps

Back