• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A few questions on WW and Z-chip mounting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silent Buddha

Hey guys, I haven't been to this particular section in awhile :( I finally decided to put together my w/c setup because I'll do my v-mods later (no money for multimeter) and because school is out. I don't have the instructions because I bought both the Dtek WW and DD Z-chip used (Z-chip has instructions on DD website but the link is dead).

I have a Dtek WW and DD Z-chip but I'm not sure exactly how to mount it. I mounted my WW through guessing...so how tight do the springs have to get? My springs are together pretty tight. On the back of the mobo there should be one nut and two plastic holder things right? And how much room do you guys leave on the back on the mobo with the bolt sticking out? I have it sticking out like 1/4 of an inch right now and I think it won't short out the mobo at that length...

For the Z-chip (I'm on AMD so I have the holes)...do I just put a bolt with a nut through the two long slits? I am having trouble fitting a bolt through...too thick it seems. Anybody have any other experience?

Hehe I've had these parts for like a month now but I've only had the time now with school out...I wanted it to do it together with the v-mods on my board but I have to go to a LAN tomorrow and I have to have everything together :(

Thanks for any help.

The WW bolts go in this order from back of the motherboard to the top of the block: Screw head--plastic washer on back--plastic washer on front--nut securing screws to mobo--WB--plastic washer--spring--thumb nut.

Thanks Zach, glad I got that right. Anybody know how tight the springs should be and what the deal is with the DD Z-chip?

Silent Buddha said:
Thanks Zach, glad I got that right. Anybody know how tight the springs should be and what the deal is with the DD Z-chip?

On my WW I have the springs compressed most of the way. There is maybe 5 or 6 turns left in the nuts before they are fully compressed. As for the Z-chip the bolts should fit right through the slits. If they do not, they guy must have gave you different ones. You can always go down to your hardware store and pick up some thinner bolts theat will work correctly along with some plastic nuts. It'll be about $1 or so.

Hehe he didn't give me any bolts, just the wb :( Yeah, looks like I'm going down to Home Depot to get some thinner ones...I need some more bolts to mount my Chevette core anyway.

I'm setting up my Maze 4-1 and I am lacking a male molex connector so that I can connect the pelt wires to the psu. Where can I get one?

Back