• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have anyone ever tried this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bombermansl

I am new to watercooling and these forums but I have read alot on waterblock design and was thinking on how to improve the waterblock design.

Why not make water DIRECTLY contact the cpu core. Theoretically, I do think that this will beat any of those expensive waterblock designs. Experimentally, I dont know. Have anyone ever tried this at all?

Often the simplest solution is overlooked...

It would be kinda hard for water not to leak unless you have a rubber square washer that fits perfectly on the Intel IHS with enough pressure.

Yes, that is why first off all I need to know if Theoretically it will be better. If it is, then it is WaY easier to make a good washer than machine a whole new waterblock.
Anyone tested this?

It’s been discussed before. I think its been tried as well. The concern with it, other than an increased chance of leakage, is the surface area to be cooled. A water block like an air-cooled heat sink spreads the heat over a relatively large surface area which in turn improves the ability to remove heat. Since the CPU head is only so big, it seems that just concentrating water on it alone would not yield better, but actually yield worse results than using some sort of heat spreader.

If concentrating water directly on the CPU would work better than using a water block it would only make sense that concentrating air directly on the CPU would work better than using a heat sink. We all know that is not a good idea. It’s all about spreading the heat over a larger surface area to increase the heat transfer from the heat source to the air. Wether you cool with air, water, or any other method, the heat eventually ends up in the air.

jenkx said:
I think its been tried as well. QUOTE]

Do you remember who have tried this or where its been discussed besides that other post?

Thanks to all for the replies so far

Try to search this forum with various keywords: direct die cooling. Even google spouts a ton of links.

I would say this would be a bad idea the seal would have to be 100% perfect and that would be hard to do I could see it being done but have rubber pumped in to the cracks but then you would not want to remove it.

Back