• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ai7 nb fan replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supergreek19

hey all. I'm a noob, so sorry if this has already been asked, or is higly trivial to answer.
I have an ai7, and the nb fan is starting to make grinding noises and has twice gone below 800 rpms, resulting the mguru to automatically shutdown my computer. I've decided to replace it with a Thermaltake A1899 North & South Bridge Cooler (http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?products_id=3247).

My questions are: should I be aware of anything when replacing the chipset fan? Is it ok to just unhook it, and hook the new one in? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks alot (in advance) for everyones help.

It's pretty easy to remove the N/B heatsink. just unhook There is some "bubble gum" like thermal gunk that will need to be carefully cleaned off, which is the hardest part of the swap.

Personally, I just use the Zalman passive cooler for my AI7. I haven't noticed any performance hit, and the quiet is nice. -- Paul

THanks alot. I ended up getting the ThermalReal NB-1. Now I just gotta wait until it comes in. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Back