• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Keeps Freezing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmTSea19

For 2 days, my computer kept freezing up. I would press CTRL ALT DEL, and even the "end task" window would freeze up and not go away. One thing, I didn't have any virus protection for about 2 weeks. I installed a brand new copy of Norton 2004 today, and it said I had no virusses. The computer kept freezing. So, tonight I re-installed Windows, and it still freezes! I reinstalled Norton, and that still shows nothing. Under "virus definitions" is a red X, and it tells me to update them. Everytime I update them, it still shows the red X, as if they are not updated.
I checked the BIOS and my temps are okay. Everything seems to be running okay, it's just all of a sudden everything freezes constantly. Pop windows freeze too. Sometimes I can't even shut off at the start button.
PLEASE HELP!
Abit max 2 ver. 2 MB, Antec True Blue 480, 1 gig, WD HD, etc...
Have no idea what this is. :(

Run an online virus scan from symantech security response if you want, or you can skip this step. This will likely tell you you are infected though.

From there, you can try downloading avert stinger, which may or may not fix your problem. Its hit or miss as it only finds very prominent and common virii.

From there, you should download f-prot antivirus and run that at boot to scan for and eliminate whatever it finds.

Run symantech online virus scan now to see if there are any infections left. If there is anything, copy and paste the results here for us please. :)

EDIT: Is this computer on a LAN? When it freezes, how long does it freeze for? (Seconds, minutes, days?) Is there any trend you can recognize with the freezing that is not completely random?

IMOG, The symantec online virus checker from their site would not work at all. The computer freezes up for minutes until I restart or unplug if it's real bad. Sometimes a few seconds, and I can get it to work again. Right now it is freezing tons, then I click CTRL ALT DEL, and then the X on that window, and then I can move again. I reinstalled XP, so I can't understand why this is happening? Would a virus still be here after I deleted the old partition and reinstalled? Thanks.

Unplugging is NOT a good idea, 3V4R! ;) On your case, press and hold the power button until it shuts down, or press the reset button.

If you reinstalled with an active internet connection, then yes, you may already be infected again. If you are on any kind of local network, then it is even more likely that you got infected that quickly again.

What do you mean by the online virus scanner would not work at all? Did it give errors or freeze, or not start?

IMOG, It said it could not scan, I can not remember the exact words. I wanted to try again, but now I lost where it is, I don't think the Norton page is showing me anymore, *lol*. Yah, I reinstalled on an active DSL Line. So, if I unplugged the router and modem, and then reinstalled yet again, would I be okay? Thanks.

I'll check the capacitators too. Thanks.

Norton Says "Unable to run Virus Detection In order to run Virus Detection you must be using Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher with ActiveX and Scripting enabled."

I am pretty sure I am running higher Explorer, and scripting is enabled. Not sure where to find Active X.

Yeah, installing again while being disconnected will eliminate the possibility of it being a virus. Before you reconnect to the internet, have all of your virus scan and firewalls up already, and also ensure whether or not the system is freezing with a fresh install and no connection.

Well, I got active X squared away and the Norton Virus thing worked, and said I had nothing. However, my own Norton still can't update the virus definitions. So, either it's a virus Norton is not detecting, or it's something else. That's all, *lol*.
Thanks.

My capacitators look okay. So, how do I figure out if this is a software issue or a hardware issue? I can't even do things like organize my favorites, but Norton said it was not a virus. Any ideas? Thanks.

I would suggest running Event Viewer (in order to access the error logs, and check for any critical errors)...Start | Run | Type eventvwr.msc and hit OK | Highlight "Application" and "System" independently in the LH pane | Right click any error message(s) (critical errors are in Red), and select "Properties" | Write down a couple of the latest critical error messages exactly as they appear (under the "Description" field), and post them in this thread.

Also, open the System Information tool by typing msinfo32 in the Run box | Expand "Components" | Highlight "Problem Devices", and look for any problems that might be listed there.

Alright, so you aren't infected. Good.

Has it been rebooting at all without warning? What else can you give us to go on?

Okay, I did the Mcafee Free Scan too, and no Virus. I did PC Pit Stop, it told me to defrag and change my temp files Disk Space from 5 to 80, so I did 49.
The computer does not randomly reboot on its own.

When I get frozen now I do CTRL ALT DEL, then click the x on those windows, and I can usually move again. Happens continually. I can surf, but I keep getting interrupted by the freezing and having to do the CTRL ALT DEL thing.

I have this computer and a Shuttle hard wired to a linksys router, and my computer to the modem. The Shuttle sometimes has problem losing the internet. I do not think we're on a network, just two computers hard wired to same modem.

I went into Eventvwr.msc and I had 2 exclamation points in yellow triangle warnings. Next to them it said "warning."

First one:
"The COM and Event System Failed to fire the
ConnectionMadeNoQOCInfo
method on subscription." The a bunch of numbers, and "The subscriber returned Hresult 8010105.

Second one:
"Your windows product has not been activated with Microsoft yet. Please use the Activation wizard within 30 days"

I did activate it, right after I re-installed, and it said it was successful.

I also went into Eventvwr-System. I have a red x error.
"The ip address lease 192.168.1.100 for the network card with network address" list some numbers, and then "has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP server sent a DHCPNACK message)"

Also, "the time service has detected that the system time needs to be change by -5356801 seconds."

and a yellow triangle warning "Your computer has detected that the IP address 192.168.1.100 for the network card with network adress" numbers "is already in use on the network. Your computer will automatically attempt to obtain a different address."

Under Problem Devices I have:

1394 Net Adapter V1394\NIC1394\1006A6323C01 This device is disabled.
1394 Net Adapter #2 V1394\NIC1394\FE73B1508D00 This device is disabled.
Multimedia Audio Controller PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_10071102&REV_04\4&1A671D0C&0&20F0 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Multimedia Audio Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_1006147B&REV_02\3&13C0B0C5&0&FD The drivers for this device are not installed.
PCI Input Device PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_7003&SUBSYS_00601102&REV_04\4&1A671D0C&0&21F0 The drivers for this device are not installed.
RAID Controller PCI\VEN_1103&DEV_0008&SUBSYS_00011103&REV_07\4&1A671D0C&0&28F0 The drivers for this device are not installed.
RAID Controller PCI\VEN_1103&DEV_0008&SUBSYS_00011103&REV_07\4&1A671D0C&0&29F0 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8139&SUBSYS_1006147B&REV_10\4&1A671D0C&0&00F0 This device is disabled.
SM Bus Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C3&SUBSYS_1006147B&REV_02\3&13C0B0C5&0&FB The drivers for this device are not installed.

I have not installed my Creative software yet and other software since I reinstalled XP last night. All I installed was XP, ATI, and Norton.

Last edited:
I have this computer and a Shuttle hard wired to a linksys router, and my computer to the modem. The Shuttle sometimes has problem losing the internet. I do not think we're on a network, just two computers hard wired to same modem.
I think I'd suggest referring this thread to the Networking forum, as I have a feeling your problem may lie with the Shuttle/router/modem.

Thanks for the try, redduc900. I don't think it's network, because I've had two computers connected to the same router for a couple years. The only difference is I recently got a new router(same brand & model), and I changed the 2nd computer to a Shuttle. I will check it out though.
I am thinking it is the PSU, even though it looks okay in the BIOS. Or the Motherboard is going bad. When I click on things, they kind of fade up now, like there isn't enough energy or something. Once they get to the page it's okay, but there is a lot of fading in.

Back