• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Virtual PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaos Snake

I wanted to poat about this program in case some of you have nto heard about it. What it does is allows you to have a Virtual PC running on top of your current OS. I just started playing with it a few weeks ago, and can not think of a better learning tool for finding the ins and outs of a OS. One of the great things about it is when you set up a Virtual PC all of that PC's files are stored in one folder!!! So if ya mess up that OS so bad that it won't boot its one Copy/Paste and 10min later your back to where ever you were when you made a backup copy of your Virtual PC files. You can also have several different OS's running at one time. I've had Fedora core (yes it will let you install a Linux OS), XP, Win 2k, and 98se with XP as my parent OS all in there own little windows. With the addons that you can get you can drag and drop files between the different OS's. So if ya have a old gamy that ya want to play, load up an old copy of Win 95 in a Virtual box and play away. I have also noticed that my win modem would work when I was running Linux. All I had to do was use it to connect to the Internet in the Parent OS, and my Virtual boxes conected to my Parent OS on a virtual network thus giving my virtual Linux box internet connection.

yea the program is ok, i like VMware better though. virtual pc was good until it was bought out by microsoft. anyways, i acually ran longhorn on it (yes it was legal mind you)

only problem is, it runs slow as hell, i even gave it 512 ram. but thats the name of the game if your going to emulate other computers..

Xenocide said:
only problem is, it runs slow as hell, i even gave it 512 ram. but thats the name of the game if your going to emulate other computers..

thats the big problem with this type of software. even decent machines run so slow. not worth it imo

I have used VMWare before, which does the same thing and is pretty cool. I especially like the boot from Iso feature.

alien dork said:
where did you get longhorn? when is it coming out? i can't wait to install longhorn on my computer.

Longhorn beta is available to MSDN subscribers although there are illegal versions floating about.

Back