• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I drain the system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tsulas

Registered
Hi all,

I am going to be away, and have my computer shut down for about a month. I was wondering, should I drain my WC system or not? I have a copper rad (Chevette HC), if that makes a difference. I am running about a 90 - 10 mixture of Distilled water to Anti-freeze.

- Cheers

umm long story short i had my water cooling system down for about 3 weeks cause i had rma my antec powersupply, and once i put my system back together my temps were about 55C at idle... turns out there was corrosion on my water block so i had to clean that up... next time i think i ll just leave some mixture in there

so i vote just leave the water in there

Yep leave water. Main cause of corrosion = oxygen. If you've got only (non-acidic) water in there you'll prevent oxygen molecules to reach your poor waterblock metals ;)

I've been running almost 24 hours a day for about 2 years without an issue. During that time I've shut down the system without draining for about 3 weeks at a time for vacations, and never had a problem. I think keeping it full is safer.

Back