• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is plain distilled OK in an all copper set up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoobInside

my set up include a chevette heater core, a white water WB, and via 1300. should i go with plain distilled or add 10% anti freeze?

I used plain distilled for the same setup (WW, dtek heatercore, fusionHL, viaaqua 1300), but I added enough leaktest dye that it probably killed any bacteria that might try to survive :p. Also, use tygon tubes, at least over clearflex. I've had both in a system at the same time, and the clearflex tubes cloud up like hell, but the tygon never had a bit of cloudiness.

if you have distilled water antifreeze is not required but makes some people feel safer. iif your gonna add some i would go with 2% if you have a large amount of water in your loop

I 've been running distilled water for months in my all-copper loop. No corrosion. BUT i've got cloudy tubes (algae i suppose). So a few additives are needed.

SureFoot said:
I 've been running distilled water for months in my all-copper loop. No corrosion. BUT i've got cloudy tubes (algae i suppose). So a few additives are needed.

Damn so i guess i have the same prob and 5% antifreeze w/distilled water isint gona cut it eh?

So whats the best stuff to use then?

SomaGaze said:
yes it will, it also inihbits corrosion and gives h2o a slightly better thermal porperties. just don't add too much
It gives the water worse thermal properties, which is why you don't add too much.

SomaGaze said:
yes it will, it also inihbits corrosion and gives h2o a slightly better thermal porperties. just don't add too much

So if it does prevent the alage then what is with the spots on my Tygon water lines?

What i did was just take a gallon of distilled water and took out about 5% of it and filled it with antifreeze and shook it up.. I've been adding to the rez when needed when i change around the lines and loose some water.

Am i doing something wrong?

Oh let me add this.. Last year i cleaned the blocks with some TarnX cause i used the setup as a test setup before finally adding it to the case.. When i did that i didnt have any antifreeze just the distilled water.. I didnt have the Tygon tubing at that time though..

Point is that when i finally went and changed the tygon tubing and set it all up in the new case i noticed that all my blocks were dirty looking.. So i thoguht it was alage.. Hense the reason why i cleaned the blocks.. The thing is that i also used the TarnX in my Dual Xtreme II rad.. I thought i flushed it out good enough but i guess i didnt.. So the last year or so i've had like a foamy substance in the rez that leaves me to believe that theres still some TarnX in the system.. :( Is that TarnX or just air? If it is TarnX thats in the system for that long, do you think thats why the spots on the lines are there? Could it of dissolved the antifreeze and now i have alage?

heh i'm lost

Nick Burns said:
I use plain distilled water with about 5% rubbing alchohol to take care of algae. Seems to be working pretty well.
i heard rubbing alcohol ruins your seals/o rings?

Back