• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coolant Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coz

Hello friends!

I'm currently running my Waterchill system with deionized water and the Waterchill anti-algae additive only. This mixture is working very well so far but I'm interested in adding some extra 'water-wetting' form of additive to reduce temperatures (and make the water flo mo betta).

My first question is, which one? I can obtain Redline WaterWetter, Zerex Racing Super Coolant, Purple Ice and Swiftech HydrX in the UK. I've heard of potential problems with the Redline stuff and Plexiglas (acrylic) reservoirs.........

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1153/index08.asp

I've also heard it can clump together, have anyone experienced these problems with Redline WW?

Any opinions on the other alternatives, good or bad?

What about FluidXP? I like the thought of having peace of mind about leaks (because it's non-conductive and non-corrosive). I'm quite leak-paranoid being a WC n00bie so it appeals to me right now. If I used FluidXP, it wouldn't require any additional additives right?

My second question (ok, maybe it's more than that already!) is about adding the additives. Obviously, FluidXP would require me to drain my existing coolant and completely replace it with FluidXP. What about the others? Can I simply add them to the reservoir and they will mix themselves into the existing coolant properly? Or, should I drain the coolant, mix it properly with the new additive and then re-fill the system? Since I'm extremely lazy and the bubbles were a real pain to shift from the radiator, I'd rather not drain the system (unless I go for FluidXP) completely.

Thanks for any opinions or advice you can offer. :)

You may see better temps with other addatives but not because of the "wetting" properties but because you can use then in much smaller % than others. I believe the ppl that use water wetter use 5%, I use 5% with zerex protector. What ever you do dont add anything to your existing coolant. The best temps come when your coolant is as much water as possible.

Back