• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To GPU cool or not to GPU cool, that is the Q?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaso

At the moment i've got a Artic cooling VGA silencer on my 9800np. And i'm thinking of adding it to my Loops, but i'm unsure.
It've got a Eheim 1250 So extra flow impeadence shouldn't be as at the moment its going though CPU only. Also i have a Dual heatercore so i don't think it will affect my temp all that much.

But Cons, it'll take me a good Day to Re-Tube my Kit + Leak testing means my PC is out of action for a good 2 days.
Also theres the £41.48 cost of the operation.

Basically is it worth it, i mean i've already Softmodded my card and its running at 9800XT speeds, but will i get much more?

i watercooled my gpu and got an extra 17+ mhz core and 10 mhz mem out of my card, so it was good for me, im gonna voltmod soon, so that will be even more. as far as price, i got a new polarflo block from ebay for $30, im sure you can find a similar or better deal somewhere.

I decided to watercool my GPU, and I noticed a big differnce in performace gain. Temps are almost half of what they were. And Im using a Ehiem 1250 too.

Id go for it. I thought about it at first and wasnt too sure. I then tec cooled my GPU. It was well worth it because of the performance gains.

I don't OC my vid card but I did watercool it to get rid of the FAN. That was a noisy little thing. I have noticed that the fan can be a big source of noise in a case.

Go for it - you can get a cheap GPU waterblock kit from Danger Den or Swiftech, and the installation and routing is a lot easier than you'd think, especially when you've got the experience of setting up your system in the first place behind you - you'll probably be able to do everything in 3 hours or less if you take your time - 4 if you decide to do a volt mod as well ;)

As for why, you'll probably see some fairly signifigant gains, which are especially nice if you're keen on playing the latest, greatest (or worst?), and most system-intensive games with full eye candy turned on. Another 25 MHz on the core doesn't sound like much, but does help out a good deal with your handle on AA and AF.

The other perk is that a solidly watercooled card is literally way cooler, the cooler core in turn lends you a much cooler PCB, which means chilly RAM chips, and some small gains on your maximum stable memory speeds.

themodguy said:
I don't OC my vid card but I did watercool it to get rid of the FAN. That was a noisy little thing. I have noticed that the fan can be a big source of noise in a case.

I agree...

I'm getting ready to add my 6800GT in into my loop...mostly for the noise. The fan on that thing is way too loud for my tastes...

Back